Noisy Brakes

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Leee12
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane MK2

Noisy Brakes

Postby Leee12 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi,
The brakes on my 1.4 Megane Hatchback are making a squealing noise almost every time I drive it. From what I've noticed it only does it when I have been driving at fast speeds or for a long time. Can anyone tell me if there's anything I can try to stop this noise?

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Re: Noisy Brakes

Postby pfeek114 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:39 pm

squeaky brakes is usually a sign there on there way out, you may have to look into getting replacement discs and pads
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 pm

bumpy answer, drive slowly and shorter :wink: ,,,,,,,,,,

or, check wear of pads/ discs, also check that the pads are seated correctly i had one that somehow had moved and was catching on unworn lip of the disc

if good get some coppercrest / copper slip / copper grease, remove pads and apply a thin film of copper on back of pad and refit, be careful not to contaminate the friction lining of the pad or the disc

there should be help on the forum for removal of pads, or a hate to say it haynes,
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

If you put 'squeal' into the search box many threads/posts will come up. It's a very common Megane issue and there are lots of theories/suggestions for you to consider/try.

If you find a permanent solution (other than changing your car) please let us know.

:)

PS My squeal is the exact opposite of yours - it only happens for the first couple of miles at low speed.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Problems / Questions”