steering not good

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

keithy2k12

steering not good

Postby keithy2k12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 am

my steering is not good because when i drive straight the car just turns left or right and when i hit the white makers on the road it turns really bad and i checked the ball joints and all the bushes and everything at the front its all good and when i am parked and i shake the steering its like knocking sounds and i really want this fix because when i went to work and i was down a farm road it put me into the hedge :cry but no damage it was lucky :-) and i got the steering lined the steering wheel is level but when i go over a hump or a ramp its off level so i went to get lined again and did the same problem again

renault megane 1.6 16v vvt 2004 :mad

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Re: steering not good

Postby pfeek114 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:28 am

have you check the steering rack itself, it could be bent somewhere
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

keithy2k12

Postby keithy2k12 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 am

bump

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Mine has developed looseness at 65k miles. Over the last month or so it feels vague, it feels like the wheels are out of balance and it rattles over kerbs and pot holes.

Finally got around to jacking the bugger up today and it's both inside track rod ends that are shot, ie, at the point at which the trackrod itself mounts to the steering rack rather than the outer track rod end.

Bloody strage they should go like that as the outers are fine and the gaiters are still perfect. Looks to me as if they were never greased in the 1st place.

Good news is they can be had for less than £20 a pr deliverd off ebay, bad news is I've done similar before, they can be an absolute bugger to undo, so am considering a replacement rack instead. :cool:

Return to “Problems / Questions”