Alarm, Sonic Sensors and Remote Locking

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jgbnubgtsw

Alarm, Sonic Sensors and Remote Locking

Postby jgbnubgtsw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi guys, first post here, been viewing the forum on and off for around a week fault finding but had no luck so far.

I've got an 05 Megane DCI Oasis, every-time I lock it the alarm is going off, the work around for now is to stop the car, switch everything off, insert key fob, press stop/start 10 times, lock the car pressing the key once and waiting for 4 bleeps to confirm deactivation.

From reading this tell's me it is possibly a fault with the sonic sensors, further more reading on a clio thread strangely the sensor level for the sonic sensors, they had a work around but I'm yet to find a megane work around. According to the clio forum, there is a wire swap thus reducing the sensor level from 80% to 20%.

Would anyone know how to do this with the megane? or had similar problems and fixes?

Skidms9
Learner Driver

Re: Alarm, Sonic Sensors and Remote Locking

Postby Skidms9 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 pm

You can swap the sensor plugs over to alter sensitivity on Megane too. White for red and red for white. Normally located near the siren. If the sensors are damaged or need replacing, they're available from Renault. Also worth checking, make sure the sensor wiring isn't tied in with the main alarm loom. Interference from the loom can trigger the sensors and thus the alarm.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Another issue we used to often come across was the bonnet switch not being fully depressed when the bonnet was shut. The solution is to put a sticky pad on the underside of the bonnet to depress the switch an extra couple of mm.

Oddly enough mine was never a problem until a couple of months ago - sticky pad, fixed.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

jgbnubgtsw

Postby jgbnubgtsw » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Excellent I will give it a try and report back, thank you for the tip :-)

jgbnubgtsw

Postby jgbnubgtsw » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

So i held down the switch and locked the car, no alarm setting off, a piece of rubber and glue until i come up with something more robust and it's done the trick, thanks very much for the tip!

jgbnubgtsw

Postby jgbnubgtsw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 am

So the problem came back, removed the bonnet sensor, gave it a dismantling and everything is as new as it was made. Read into this more and there is bot all about the alarm on the internet from what I could find anyway...

On the rear pillars the two sensors had already been removed, there was a part in the boot, central, under the carpet which when disconnected did nothing to help remedy.

I found a article about the scenic somewhere and was reading about the exact same problem, so this got me thinking putting my hand in the open window when armed nothing happened!

I searched and came across the alarm unit, opened the boot, put down the rear passenger seat, removed the side carpet and behind a metal plate is the alarm speaker etc. Noticeably a red blinker light to tell me that it was on (behind the carpet? really?) and a plug. So disconnected the plug, locked up and tested the light which was now off.

So far alarm has not went off yet. If you want I can do a full run through with pictures if anyone is interested.

Terry

michael84

Postby michael84 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm

PLEASE can you post how to do this with some pictures please, my neighbors must be getting the ass with my alarm now...

tinabates

Postby tinabates » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Please can you send me the images on how to do this please

s4k1b
Currently Drives:: lots of cars

Postby s4k1b » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Is your alarm making your life a (short term) misery? .. Kill it :)

Having read dozens of acquired a 2005 megane 1.5 dci dynamique, i have noticed it has the dreaded problem of the alarm sounding a minute later after being locked.

i am amazed to find that NO ONE has actually posted a semi-permanent fix for this problem.

I have read posts on temporrily disarming the alarm by pressing the start button 5-10 times and pressing lock after which should result in 3 or 4 beeps.
This didnt work for me. And even if it did, you have to do this every time.

After rummaging around in the boot - i found the alarm unit, disconnected the wire, and hey presto - no more sodding alarm.

Yes, the car no longer has an alarm when you do this. But i for one, havent got the time right now to be buying sensors, fitting them to find its not the problem, and tracing where the problem lies.

I can imagine if it was a cold dark wintry night, and you had the snuffles with a hint of fever or manflu, the last thing you want to do is spend hours and hours taking the car apart so that you can lock it safely and get into bed, or sit unlocking/locking the car from inside the house all night in efforts to keep the peace with your neighbours.

Even moreso because this is now less than £1000 worth of vehicle - Fixing the alarm problem properly would not result in any increase of value to this vehicle.

And quite frankly, if Mr Theif wants to steal this cheapy renault megane, then more fool him. Why would you bother ??
As for break-ins - the alarm is fairly gentle sounding anyway, so it wouldn't scare of a thief, until they have taken what they were after. In which case having an alarm is pointless IMO.

Sorry for the long spiel, but you get my drift , im sure you do.

WITRHOUT FURTHER ADO........THE FIX

So........... as a semi permanent fix, follow these steps below as i discovered

OPEN THE BOOT

LOOK TO THE LEFT SIDE AND UNDO THE CARPET WHICH IS TUCKED UNDER THE TAILGATE RUBBER SEAL

FOLD THE CARPET BACK AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A CUBBY HOLE, WITH BOLTS AND SCREWS IN THE VICINITY

HAVE A FEEL AROUND AND TRACE THE WIRES THAT YOU CAN SEE TO THE ALARM UNIT. THE ALARM UNIT SHOULD HAVE A RED BLINKING LED ON IT.

FIND THE BIG PLASTIC CONNECTOR - UNDO THIS CONNECTOR

THAT IS IT.

NO MORE ALARM !!! - BUT YOUR REMOTE CENTRAL LOCKING WILL STILL WORK AS NORMAL AND YOUR CAR WILL START UP FINE
(THIS OBVIOUSLY HAS NO CONNECTION TO THE IMMOBILISER WHICH WAS WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF)

Now you can wait for a summery day when the birds and the bees are singing/tweeting at their hearts content, to plug this back in, and find the real cause of the problem. I for one will not be doing this, ever! (Life's too short to waste time)

If you do want to do this, here are what i believe to be a few common faults which cause this problem:
- ultrasonic sensors in pillar C (behind/to the side of the rear head rests)
- bonnet pin which tells the alarm if the bonnet has been opened or not (i armed the alarm with bonnet open and got a constant solid beep which wouldnt go off, so i dont understand how this could be the cause of SAID problem without it beeping like this - but its what i have read)
- door sensors (i believe to be in the locking catch)
- sensors in the rear view mirror housing
- Boot sensor , similar to the bonnet sensor , but also in the lock/catch i believe.

i hope this helps many people - as this wasted about 3 hours of my time today.

JUST DISCONNECT THE DAMN THING AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES !

ENOY !

:D :) :lol: 8) :wink: ;-)
:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
:-)

(If anyone wants to make a nominal donation for this piece of information - paypal s4k1b@hotmail.com - cheeky i know - whilst i dont expect anything at all and really dont give a flying monkeys - all the 1p payments i receive will be a testament as to how many people i have helped which will be very satisfying ! I doubt i will be coming back here to check updates if im honest, however i do use paypal weekly so will be kept in the loop via this)

T2aerospace
Currently Drives:: Mk2 1.5dci estate

Postby T2aerospace » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Afternoon all, new to the forum, I found this thread after a google search for my problem.

My alarm suddenly started going off after I locked the car, and continued to do so every time i locked it. 4 beeps after unlocking the car suggests the car has been "tampered" with according to the manual.

Started off testing the bonnet switch by holding it in manually and locking the car. Alarm sounded followed by 4 beeps.

Went to check the volumetric/ultrasound sensors in the boot. All appeared ok - although 1 is missing (and always has been from what I can recall). Checked the 1 present sensor, notice it had been knocked loose, and one wire had come loose.

I have loosely reconnected the wire into the sensor and it still sets the alarm off. I can't guarantee there is continuity in the circuit. I also can't guarantee the near-side sensor was ever present, or if this has also been knocked off.

I've found the alarm and disconnected it, so no more alarm.

QUICK NOTE:: The alarm on my 1.5dci Estate was on the right/drivers side, not on the left. Perhaps the Frenchies like to keep things interesting and mix things up a bit when putting their cars together.

Looking at the broken sensor, it seems more economical/less fiddly to just fit new sensors and wiring into the already-present connector. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket kit available?

On the off chance that the damaged and/or missing sensors in the boot are NOT the issue, what other sensors are that could be setting the alarm off?

Geirgemegane
Currently Drives:: Renault megane convertible 2.0 petrol 2007

Postby Geirgemegane » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 pm

jgbnubgtsw wrote:So the problem came back, removed the bonnet sensor, gave it a dismantling and everything is as new as it was made. Read into this more and there is bot all about the alarm on the internet from what I could find anyway...

On the rear pillars the two sensors had already been removed, there was a part in the boot, central, under the carpet which when disconnected did nothing to help remedy.

I found a article about the scenic somewhere and was reading about the exact same problem, so this got me thinking putting my hand in the open window when armed nothing happened!

I searched and came across the alarm unit, opened the boot, put down the rear passenger seat, removed the side carpet and behind a metal plate is the alarm speaker etc. Noticeably a red blinker light to tell me that it was on (behind the carpet? really?) and a plug. So disconnected the plug, locked up and tested the light which was now off.

So far alarm has not went off yet. If you want I can do a full run through with pictures if anyone is interested.

Terry

Could you send me any info on this Inc. Pictures please

Return to “Problems / Questions”