bonnet wont open?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

alfonzo
Currently Drives:: megane 225 sport

bonnet wont open?

Postby alfonzo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:22 pm

I have gone to pull the bonnet catch in the passenger footwell and nothing, the bonnet doesnt pop up? The lever feels loose, so not sure if the cable is broken? Can you open the bonnet from outside? My battery is dead so need it open soon!!! I have taken the grills off the front bumper but cant see anything to help open the bonnet :?:

lee00069
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane cc 1.9 DCI

Re: bonnet wont open?

Postby lee00069 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi,

You can remove the grill and get to it from there.
Its quite fiddly but i managed to open it from there once the grill was out .
My bonnet cable jumped out ...

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm

I couldn't open mine from the grille, but was easily done (I'm told) from blow whilst the car was on a ramp.
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

alfonzo

Postby alfonzo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for your responce guys, Yea did take the grill off but cant see the cable for love nor money! I jacked the car up and looks as though i would have to take the plastic under tray off as my arms arent long a bendy enough to reach around! Think ill try a coat hanger tomo to see if i can fish the cable out?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 pm

The plastic under tray is only held on by about 7 no. 10mm head bolts.

Much of the bumper is only held on from below also - certainly enough for you to bend it forward without breaking the top clips; this might allow for easier access. (Might!).
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

alfonzo

Postby alfonzo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Right guys, no need to take undertray of or jack car up! To reach the cable what you need to do is take of the passenger side grill in the bumper, easily done with a flate headed screw driver by gently prizing from the botom of it, once this is removed you will see a small white honey coned gill, remove this, very easy just tug it, once this is removed you can see the bonnet catch and will be able to pull the cable through this hole in order to open the bonnet. And whilst i thought my cable had snapped, it hadnt. Its comes in two parts, and connets via a plastic box which incases the nipple end from the interior cable to the hook end of the bonnet catch, some how they had seperated, so just clip it all back together and hay presto. Hope this helps anyone else who has had this problem.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Not spam. Yet.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:27 pm

DG is a known spam bot. It registers in different forums and copies parts of somebody's message while displaying a dodgy link in both the signature and address.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

MickProcter
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.9 DCi, 130 FAP, Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTI & JCB 3CX

Postby MickProcter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Here's how I did mine.
On the passenger side, you can unbolt the 2 bonnet bolts (one is easy one will take a while).

Once the bolts are out you can lift the bonnet a little and hold it with a block of wood or similar.

Then you can lift the front passenger side corner and hold it up a little, I used the extension tube off the vacuum cleaner.

I then got a long metal rod (out of next doors garden) this was approx 500mm long and around 4mm in diameter, I bent the end by 90 degrees.

Using a torch I could see where the cable is jointed, I placed the metal bar close to the joint box and the cable and twisted. The cable on the handle side just popped off, I then inserted the metal bar into the eye of the other cable and pulled, the bonnet popped open.

I then put the 2 bolts back, and fitted a new cable.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Right - here's how things work. You spot a spam post, tell me or any other member with a name not in black - not on this or any other thread. Send a PM. Either I, or another member of the admin will fix it.

I hope this information was clear.

Now I need to sit down (rant over!)

ms33
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk2
Nissan Skyline GTR

Postby ms33 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Alfonzo was spot on, worked perfectly. Bonnet now opening. :tu

samudominik
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk 2

Postby samudominik » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:24 am

Alfonzo was right i used exactly the same method and it worked straight away. Thanks mate. :-)

Dally
Currently Drives:: Renault megane ll 2008 1.5dci (108bhp)

Postby Dally » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Read through this and tried and tried to get the bonnet opened but it seems my hands are too big. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but after a while I got fed up and quit. Has anyone seen any video tutorials or have any advice on how to do this ??

Sumo
Currently Drives:: Cc 2005

Postby Sumo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Alfonso, thank you for advice, it worked a treat, saved me loads of dosh cheers

biolandy
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane cabriolet coupe diesel
Landrover discovery td5

Postby biolandy » Sat May 28, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for posting this,just used it to sort my 2005 Megane coupe cabriolet-waste of time removing the under shield as all I could see was the under side of engine cover.I had to go in through the grill,NS and then remove off white strainer (this is actually a coarse sieve for the air intake the other side of the panel)then reach in until you feel the cable,space is tight ,it seems impossible,but persevere and it did cut my hand but eventually got far enough back to the feel cable and pulled out front via a bent coat hanger,and just like others,pull on loop and bonnet pops.Once inside,I replaced the cables in their black joint box and put a cable tie over to stop happening again.The problem almost definitely occurred when I had my clutch done,but no proof.
If you have work done,check bonnet still opens,before you drive off.

Return to “Problems / Questions”