Check Injectors problem continued

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Big-Boe
Currently Drives:: 54 plate Megane 1.9dci dynamique estate.

Check Injectors problem continued

Postby Big-Boe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey guys, ok so here's my problem.

I've just bought this megane 1.9 dci dynamique estate on a 54 plate. It was a bargain and too tempting to pass up.

But I have had a "check injector" sign, plus the engine management light and service light.

From start the problem is there, the cars runs but won't rev above 3k rpm and speed pick up is present but not ad it should be.

Between the start and after driving for a while the message disappears and the power us back.

It seems to react better when the engine is hot. I don't recall the message going and the car acting normal from a cold start.

After driving for about 10mins he message might go, but after a few stop the engine start the engine routines the message might go, or just sitting idle it might go.
I've read about the EGR valve being possibility, so I removed it and cleaned it with carb cleaner, it went back it shiny. I'm pretty sure it works.

My question is what else might it be? Could injector but if so why is it intermittent, or maybe a glow plug, but I thought they were only used to get it started. Ive used only Shell vpower diesel and put reddex injector cleaner in. I've only had the car less than a week. But I had to buy it.
I've had a code reader put on it, it just came up with a 5v gate open on the fuel tank, but turned out to be a broken seal on the fuel tank door losing pressure.

Anyones ideas or suggestions would be awesome thanks guys

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Check Injectors problem continued

Postby davelowe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:18 pm

The 3k RPM issue is 'limp home mode'. The ECU has detected a fault which leads it to believe that revving above this amount could cause further damage.

Obviously, you need to discover why this fault is triggered. You have looked at the OBD codes, which is more than most people do. My suggestion is to read the manuals at the top of this forum. They offer the factory problem finding diagrams.

No doubt someone else will contribute.

You could also search for my post on the blocked oil filter bottle (a misnomer but if your hunch about the oil being an issue is correct, might be informative).

Let us know how you get on.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

MicKPM
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II dCi, LAguna II GT Turbo (Petrol), Renault 19 16v (Ex-Tim Harvey RDR shell)

Postby MicKPM » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Proper diagnostic session needed to be sure chap or at the very least, it needs seeing by a competent person (No offence).

Megane II's, as a general rule, each have the ability to cost you a small fortune when they go wrong. Diesel varients are possibly the worst for it bar the R26 Sports with there expensive running gear as most garages don't actually know what they're doing with the equipment nor do they fully understand the coplexities that modern common rail diesels require to run. What you have here though is potential to waste a fair bit of cash with guessing when all you need do is take it to someone with some decent diag kit that can not only check/read codes but can see the full array of sensor input info that the ECM uses to run the vehicle and UNDERSTAND what they're seeing.

Personally, to me at least, it sounds like a boost pressure sensor or a MAP/MAF issue but without seeing the vehicle i'm afraid i'm no more guessing than you.

Mick

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm

It does not say "Check Injectors", please read the message correctly. It literally means to check the injection computer by plugging the diagnostic computer in.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Big-Boe

Postby Big-Boe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi guys thx for the comments, Ive got it booked for a full service and change tomorrow, my local Renault garage reckons they know the common problems so they're doing it, only costing me £250 so far, that'll be complete change to all the running parts, and it DOES say Check Injectors on the little message panel. So I have have checked it correctly, not sure what else you mean? I fly planes not proficient in cars hence the name Big Boe as in Boeing lol :)

I bought this car as a kind of impulse thing, I needed a car just to run to the shops and around the city, as my other car was guzzling the fuel on short hops. Kinda hoping it works out, it's quite nice to drive.

Thanks again for the advice.

All the best

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 pm

I realise that this is off topic, but out of interest, what aircraft are you certified on?

Big-Boe

Postby Big-Boe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm

just a bit of topic lol, I'm licensed for twin turbo fan engine lr and er intercontinental 27 and 37 varients. upto 255 passenger or max normally cargo tho. I work for an agency atm don't fancy the airlines with the current climate. I've got my cpl and atpl multi-engine and ofcourse IR as standard :D grades. I'm mainly in the Boeing 737-700 ER but waiting for the 777 proficiency.

Why do you ask? are u into aviation?

oh and back on topic the car is looking great for its first mot with me as its owner, only 2 advisories with no failings. It's under going its service now. they offered to mot it first to find the faults then include them in the service then re test for free. She should be coming home fully working.

thanks for the advice so far.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:32 pm

I mean it says "Check Injection" (not an "Injector"), which is to check the injection computer for fault codes, rather than checking the injectors on the cylinder head. ELM327 OBD interface is about a tenner on Ebay. Together with a laptop or an Android phone - its all you need. It makes sense to record and plot the live engine parameters while replicating the fault for the further analysis in addition to reading the fault codes.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Big-Boe

Postby Big-Boe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Ahh now i get it, sorry I take things literally force of habit.

Well the faults been fixed, as I said it sailed through it's MOT with a few advisories but nothing major, the fault after it was plugged into the all singing and all dancing computer at renault headquarters was a Faulty Glow Plug Control Module.

They replaced it, charged me £57.80 Inc VAT and sent me on my merry way.

So for my problem, "Check Injection" <-- Got it right that time :) it was a faulty Glowplug relay control module, But the fault was presenting like an EGR, then fuel problem so it was a little tricky apparently, still I got a bargain motor and she's purring now.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Happy travels

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Big-Boe wrote:Ahh now i get it, sorry I take things literally force of habit.

1) This is why I didn't echo Alex's post - I know pilots take their check lists very carefully (so I was surprised you didn't spot the discrepancy)!

2) Yes - I'm into aviation, but never progressed further than a PPL/IR - funding issues, and now I'm a bit too old for anything bigger.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Well done! ...and sorry to disappoint you, the big aviator, you will see the same message again. The glow plug control module doesn't cause the limp-home mode, but the EGR valve does. Clean it when you have time. You may also want to replace the fuel filter and use a bottle of Comma Diesel Detox fuel additive.

The glow plugs do not work when the engine is hot!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ada2003
Currently Drives:: 2003 MEGANE 1.9 dci

Postby ada2003 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I had this come up on my 2003 1.9 dci.
When i took it to get the codes read it came back airflow.
on further inspection they was a air pipe that had been removed from the airflow meter when it was replaced
but never reconnected and also the air pipe to the turbo had come lose.
On solving these to problems the car runs like a dream again.

Return to “Problems / Questions”