Air con noise

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

harg88

Air con noise

Postby harg88 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi

Bought my Megane about 2 month ago. I didn't realize at the time but my Aircon needed topping up.
About 2-3 week ago I had the system refilled and since then it's worked perfectly.

However today when driving slow I could hear a nasty noise that stops when I turn it off

This video is the noise on idle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aMVbj49SoM&feature=plcp
this is the noise with some revs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYF_SOVIk20&feature=plcp

Any ideas what the noise it. Is it low on gas, I thought this but it still seems cold.

The sound reminds me of an air compressor filling up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have a month left of warranty from the garage I bought it from. I think they will be funny about repairing Aircon but worth a go.

Thanks

Chris

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Air con noise

Postby davelowe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Listening to that makes me think that the pump is kaput. A/C systems contain lubricating oil and R134a gas. Both are critical for longevity. If the pump (driven by a belt) is starved of lubrication for a while, it will fail.

Your short clip is too brief to make a diagnosis accurately - it could be a dodgy bearing on one of the radiator fans - these engage when the pump clutch engages.

One simple question, if you leave the A/C on, and head under the bonnet, does the noise cycle in turn with the radiator fans and clutch? The revs will rise as both engage.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

harg88

Postby harg88 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for he reply

The fan sounds fine. When I press the ac button I can hear a noise ( as if you turn a air compressor on )

It's hard to hear under the bonnet but it sounds like its the air con pump ( under the alternator )
Is it just a leak that can be fixed or does it sound like it needs a new one or servicing ( new seals ect)

Any ideas on ££

Thanks chris

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

It sounds from what you describe, as though the compressor is knackered. But, this is speculation. I doubt the unit can be repaired if it is at fault.

If you bought the car with a warranty, there should be no reason why the garage that sold it should not honour any defect and subsequent repair. Have a look at the 'Consumer Protection Act 1987'. It might be prudent not to mention that you have had it re-gassed.

harg88

Postby harg88 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 pm

There saying I can't get it done under warranty but could get it repaired at at one of there trade garages cheaper.

This is a tad annoying as I was under the impression it would cover mechanical parts. If the pump was to fail what would happen. Could it damage anything else. Is it linked to the alternator ect.

If it was a cheap buy I would expect problems but It's an 08 tech run with 28k on the clock

Thanks again
Chris

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm not a legal man, but my reading of the act suggests they should make remedy. Perhaps you should consider the option of 'rejecting the car' - this means you hand it back and get your cash to shop around elsewhere. This again is speculation, but if it is an option (that you will have to research), threatening the garage with this usually provokes some action (if done tactfully).

Since the car is just over the warranty period, it might be worth your while phoning the Renault customer services free phone number and discussing the situation. They tend to be reasonable - when the clutch and DMF failed 1 month after the 3 year warranty expired on my car, they agreed to pay for the parts, and gave me the balance in the form of a blank check for any other work at an authorised dealership. Not that I'm minded to let them tinker with it - but the £500 'voucher' is spare money to carry over into the future...

My interpretation of these kinds of situations is to get what you negotiate and live with it. It might seem like one man against the 'machine', but the 'machine' (Renault) has deep pockets. Telling them you are a member of a major ownership forum can provoke a positive outcome (!)

Good luck.

Return to “Problems / Questions”