WINDOW REGULATOR FIRE

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

carlbentham
Currently Drives:: megane 1.6 dynamique

WINDOW REGULATOR FIRE

Postby carlbentham » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi,

05 1.6 dynamique 4 door
Had an intermittant fault on passenger window, the usual refusing to work when asked to then working when not supposed to, stripped door down all looked ok apart from a wet regulator plug on loom dried this out and put it back together, 2 days later smoke pouring from speaker grill, door pocket and seals ect, once the fuses had been removed it all cooled down and stopped smoking. Stripped it down again to find a melted mess, window reg, comfort module and loom all burnt out and stuck together. Rang the dealers and had a right argument as they would only pay 75 percent towards fitting a genuine renault part which from past experiences on that car genuine renault parts are a big pile of steaming sh1t or smoking sh1t in my case they were saying it would be guarenteed for a year but what good is that if it bursts into flames with the family on board, got an aftermarket reg kit from local motor factors and fitted it my self then re wired door with non renault wiring too working a treat now with no smoke or flames. Be carefull these cars are getting like the old renault 5s and could bbq u at any moment I was lucky but if the fuse wasn't pulled quick enough it would have been a burned out shell now with a total loss claim on insurance record..

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: WINDOW REGULATOR FIRE

Postby davelowe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Duly noted. Unlucky.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

MicKPM
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II dCi, LAguna II GT Turbo (Petrol), Renault 19 16v (Ex-Tim Harvey RDR shell)

Postby MicKPM » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:32 am

The original Scenic was plagued with door fires to and they had an OTS out for this issue. I've got to say though I've never heard of an X84 regulator catching fire before.

I guess you got very lucky because electrical fires have a habit of doing a lot of damage in seconds which normally results in the car being written off.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:36 pm

I agree with Nick - I've never heard of an electrical fire caused by bad design. These things only usually occur when an over sized fuse is fitted to 'solve' a problem.

You might want to consult with a lawyer - not least the free one you might be paying as part of your insurance policy. If the fault can be proven on the balance of probability, Renault will be bending over backwards to give you a brand new car, never mind fixing the old one...
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

carlbentham
Currently Drives:: megane 1.6 dynamique

Postby carlbentham » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:36 am

I'm electrician my self, don't have a clue how the fuse didn't go as they have already been downsized from the standard 25a to 20a and by the state of the melted plud and reg there must have been a fair few dead shorts, no proof now the as I threw all the old shite in the bin in a strop lol my repair still working fine after 3 week tho

But now that's sorted the new trick its just developed is footwell storage boxes filling up with water, lol

Return to “Problems / Questions”