Underseat Wiring (updated, The Plot Thickens !!)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Glennst
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane 1.6 Coupe

Underseat Wiring (updated, The Plot Thickens !!)

Postby Glennst » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Evening Chaps,

Bizare case and perhaps a warning to all.......

I have had the airbag and service light appearing on my car since I bought it, a risk but the car was in great body and mechanical condition at that time. The mot is now approaching and I need to remove the dash warning lights (following recent regulations) in order to pass the mot. A subsequent diagnsotic check has revealed a passenger airbag problem.

The next step was to remove the passenger seat and check the wiring loom underneath (a very common Megane fault area as you know) but the beginning of my nightmare was revealed.

It would appear that in a past attempt to fix the airbag warning light, the previous owner CUT OUT the black mutli-connector box from under both seats and TAPED each indiviudal wire to the corresponding wire on the wiring loom.

I presume this was done to by-pass the notoriously faulty connector box under each front seat, but the problem now lies in that I need to ascertian if he taped the right wires togther. He either messed this up and thats why the warning light is on, or he taped them right and the issue lies elswhere such as pre-tensioners.

What I need is a wiring diagram for the wires that connect from the seats to the harness under each footwell. I have searched high and low but to no avail, can anyone on here help out ????

If I take it to any Renault garage they will simply charge me for a whole new rewiring job, and thats more than the car is probably worth.

Alternatively, if anyone has any ideas how I can remove the warning light that would be welcome, but I am conscious this is a long term safety problem that needs resolved.

cheers

G
Last edited by Glennst on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Underseat Wiring

Postby AlexB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:24 pm

You need to visit the sticky thread with manuals, technical notes and wiring diagrams, which is above this one.

It is on e of technical notes that recommends bypassing the connector. So, this might have been an official job, which cured the problem for a while...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

bufferz
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.9 DCi Coupe Cabriolet, in Champagne

Postby bufferz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:16 pm

remove the bulb(s) but needs the dashboard taking out, plus i didnt think the warnings mattered on more "vintage" vehicles? Only those manufactured in the past couple of years....
'55' Plate Megane II cc, 1.9DCi, in Champagne, not Gold like the book says!

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:19 pm

I didn't think you could take the dash bulbs out ? Isn't it some sort of inbuilt led, thus a new dash cluster would actually need bought when you have a dash / bulb fault ?

All part of the Renault cash making machine.

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:03 am

Bump.

Any help on the can you / can't you remove dash bulbs query would be appreciated.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:35 pm

What a question! It's like bribing your family doctor, so he permitted you to smoke cigarettes and eat bacon for breakfast! :lol:

Removing a signal bulb or LED will not solve the problem. A failed MOT will, actually, and for free! Just use one of "no pass no fee" stations...

Am I the only one who finds this thread amusing?

Glennst wrote:Bump.

Any help on the can you / can't you remove dash bulbs query would be appreciated.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm

I think I have slow puncture.

I'm going to remove the problem wheel and see how I go with just the three remaining ones. Surely four wheels is just 'elf and safety gone mad', a 25% reduction in wheelness shouldn't result in major problems should it?

;-)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34 pm

How about instead of posting dribble you actually add some value to this thread, surely that's the point of this place.

If you read my previous posts you will see I queried this move, I was merely questioning whether this could actually be done.

Again, answer the question, provide advice or just move on.

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Has anyone on here failed an MOT because of an illuminated airbag light ?

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Apologies for my sense of humour, no offence intended. I was only trying to make the point that removing bulb/disabling warning lights does not cure the underlying problem or any future problem that may crop up.

However, here is a link to a very useful site called the MOT testers forum which can give you an in depth answer to the question of the legality of working dashboard lights vis a vis MOT failures.

Hope that helps some.

http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum3/2348-1.html

There's a post half way down the Pass or Fail thread all about dash light and new regulations.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Airbag are part of the MOT now, which essentially means that if your car is fitted with them, they will need to be checked as part of the test. They were supposed to be a bit lenient initially and issue this as an advisory if the light was on, but I have a feeling that stage has now passed since around April.

The way they test it, as far as I know, it that they switch the engine on and watch the airbag light come on and go out as it's supposed to after the system is initialised, so in short, even if it was possible to remove the bulb, the car would fail the test if they were being strict on it.

It could be that if the wires were soldered together, that one of these has become loose again? I would check them first. If not, are both seatbelt buckles the same lenght? If one is shorter then the pretensioner has fired for some reason and this would also trigger the light
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Hmm - humour aside (what's with the bacon gag?(forget it)), I agree that the OP needs to examine the wiring diagrams and get further CLIP diagnoses (if the car is equipped).

My tuppence worth is to try and reconcile the wiring diagram with the existing 'repairs' and to check their integrity. Following that, a good independent garage with good knowledge of Meganes should be able to find the fault.

Give the guy a break - he's only trying to fix his car; like all of us on here. I think we would all agree that resorting to illegal means is a moral and safety hazard best avoided.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Dave / Morgan,

I appreciate the advice and taking the time to source some links and tips. I'm trying to locate the wiring diagram for the under seat connectors, in order to check that he previous owners repair was actually correct. Failing that I shall run diagnostics and get some fault codes, go from there.

Again, cheers gents. I'll let you know how I get on.

Glennst

Re: Underseat Wiring (updated, The Plot Thickens !!)

Postby Glennst » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Ok, so I finally left the car into a vehicle electronics speicalist within my area, the results were unexpected;

It transpires that the underseat wiring is fine, the previous owner did a good job of by-passing the under-seat connectors and all is well.

The bad news is that there are two faults registering on the diagnostics;

1. Crash Data on the Airbag ECU. Yes, it would seem the reason my airbag light has been on since the day I bought the car is because it has been involved in some sort of accident and the airbag system needs re-set. I suppose there is a lesson to be learned here, and perhaps my experience can mark as a warning to others, but despite the fact the bodywork and chassis seem perfect upon inspection, the car has obviously been knocked and no record held or passed on to the next purchaser. Apparently the mechanic needs to pull out the airbag software, send to England to have the crash data erased, and re-instal (The airbags have obviously been replaced by a previous owner or never deployed, but the system was not re-set in the correct manner). He has quoted me 150GBP for the whole process.

I would add that the bodywork really is perfect on this car, I ran the reg with the DVLA, and I had a full service done last Christmas involving pumps / belts / fluids / discs / pads / cv's, and the mechanic never mentioned accident damage once. It really is a mystery how / why the ecu reads accident damage.

2. The De-phaser pulley. A common issue that needs no explanation.

It seems I am getting closer to clearing the fault lights on the dash, but what started as a simple "underseat connector issue" has turned into a nightmare.

Lesson 1: Never buy a Megane with a warning light on.

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Re: Underseat Wiring (updated, The Plot Thickens !!)

Postby ikhan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Some guys on ebay offer to 'repair' the airbag ecu's for bout £45. Might be worth looking there.
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

Return to “Problems / Questions”