Re: Help with Exhaust fumes

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

M4GPR
Currently Drives:: 1.9 dci dynamique

Postby M4GPR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi all, nice to be here. Bought my Megane 1.9 DCI (120) 2006 about 4 weeks ago and I’m very pleased with it. But just last week I noticed the smell of diesel fumes coming in through the vents with the heater blower on or a/c. It's not diesel smell but strong fumes.

So I opened the bonnet and checked around the injectors to see if there was any smells or leaks coming from that area but nothing. But I did notice a very strong smell of diesel fumes coming from the back of engine.

So I took it to my local exhaust centre to see if it had a leak that maybe what was causing the problem, and they said it's not leaking. So I’m lost where the smell is coming from. I am asking if anybody has had anything like this or someone who is familiar with the diesel engine and may shed some light on my problem.

Cheers.
Last edited by M4GPR on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Help with Diesel fumes

Postby davelowe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:00 pm

This is interesting, such as problems are. I can't help you though. All I can speculate is that you have an oil leak, which in itself should be self evident, unless it is dripping on to the exhaust and being burnt off. The air for the cabin is blown in through the bulkhead beneath the windscreen - adjacent to the back of the engine. That is my only reasoning. I can only suggest you look for an oil leak - especially around the turbo feed and return lines.

Hopefully someone else will come along and answer your question.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

M4GPR

Re: Help with Diesel fumes

Postby M4GPR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi and thx for your reply. I have looked to see if I have any oil leaks, nothing on the ground nor has the dip stick markings moved since I checked it day after I bought it and today still on full.

M4GPR

Postby M4GPR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi, see nobody has had nothing like this then. just like to give an update. It's exhaust fumes not diesel as i said before if that helps.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:46 pm

All I can speculate is that this is normal if you aren't used to driving a diesel car. If there are no obvious exhaust leaks or holes, does it only happen when in stationary traffic?

Tip: to test the exhaust system, start the car and hold a rag blocking the normal exhaust pipe. You should feel good back pressure and not hear any untoward sounds.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 am

Crankcase gasses? Flexible pipe of the exhaust?

Exhaust on these cars is made of stainless steel. So, corrosion can be dismissed as a cause.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

M4GPR

Postby M4GPR » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 am

Yes this is my first diesel, and it only started to do this couple of weeks ago. Only happens when stationary.

When I pull away and drive I can put the blower on and all is ok until I stop and junctions or lights then I have to switch blower of quickly as it comes in quick.

The exhaust centre put his hand on the back of the exhaust to see if he could hear any leaks and it does have a lot of back pressure there.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Diesel or not - there should be no smell inside. Renault diesels are very clean, actually. I hope you understand, that if you are not a smoker, then this leak may reduce your life expectancy.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

M4GPR

Postby M4GPR » Tue May 01, 2012 12:57 pm

No I don't smoke, so it's a no no from me. Got a Mechanic looking at it on Friday morning, so I will report back on his findings.

M4GPR

Postby M4GPR » Thu May 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Ok, I have had my car looked at. And it needs a new exhaust manifold gasket as its leaking from the very top.

My question is, how long would it take to replace the gasket and how much is involved. My car is Megane II 1.9 DCI (120)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

From memory this is quite an involved procedure. If I remember correctly it will involve disconnecting the cat from the exhaust, which will be corroded, and removing both the intake and exhaust manifolds as they are held together by the same bolts. The turbo may well have to come off, which necessitates new oil feed pipes. Also the intake manifold has various hoses attached to it. The EGR might be of the type that is cooled, meaning removing the bumper and draining and replenishing the coolant.

In summary, my DIY ownership experience tells me that this is not a trivial task - perhaps a half to a full day's labour. The part will probably cost pennies.

If no-one else has a better idea, I would get a second opinion. You could live with it, or maybe you could have a cracked exhaust manifold, which is worse, since repairing them (with welding) is a temporary solution, and replacement would necessitate all of the above + the part.

M4GPR

Postby M4GPR » Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Thx dave for your reply, if I shine a torch at back of engine on top of manifold there is two places that you can see it a little wet where it's leaking so I would only think it's the gasket not a cracked manifold.

Wow, had no idea how much is involved to replace the gasket. can someone confirm excatly the parts I would have to replace. I have already bought the gasket and the manifold x8 bolts from renault. What else do i need to buy?

Cheers

M4GPR

Postby M4GPR » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Its me :( well it’s been a right fun a games. What has been discovered the exhaust manifold is not blowing, nor is the exhaust anywhere else.
But now looking much more deeply, I have a small oil leak, this is what must be the smell dripping on to the exhaust. I really didn’t notice this before, but now I see small drips on the floor.

It seems to drip more of an area when I park it on my friends slightly slopped drive way. could someone help to where it might be coming from. The dipstick stills shows full and there is no performance loss what’s so ever, in fact it drives lovely.

Starts no problems and there is no blue or black smoke when you rev it up from the exhaust. MPG is very good so no problems there. I’m just trying to answer some questions that might be asked.

Cheers.

RGS
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 DCI

Postby RGS » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:25 am

I had a similar problem with my 1.9 DCI Grand Scenic. The metal plate between the Engine compartment and the Fan/Aircon intake has a cover which clips into place. This had become dis-lodged and the engine fumes were going straight into the air intake. I re-clipped the plate into position and my problem went away. In fact my aircon is working better as well as it no longer gets the hot engine fumes into the air intake. Hope this helps RGS.

Phwobble
Currently Drives:: Megane 2007

Postby Phwobble » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:02 pm

RGS wrote:I had a similar problem with my 1.9 DCI Grand Scenic. The metal plate between the Engine compartment and the Fan/Aircon intake has a cover which clips into place. This had become dis-lodged and the engine fumes were going straight into the air intake. I re-clipped the plate into position and my problem went away. In fact my aircon is working better as well as it no longer gets the hot engine fumes into the air intake. Hope this helps RGS.

Good evening all, old post but I'm having the same problem with 2007 megane. Same car same problem.. I just can't find out what these clips are called.. please can you help, I can't cope with cold mornings and being choked by fumes.. thank you

Return to “Problems / Questions”