diagnostics

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

carlbentham
Currently Drives:: megane 1.6 dynamique

diagnostics

Postby carlbentham » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Has anyone had any experience with this https://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0589954653 thinking of getting one as this car is riddled with all the usual 1.6 vvt problems and I am not paying renault to do anything as I belive they should have made the car propperly in the first place what's everyones views on the link above, cheers in advance

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: diagnostics

Postby tomalamix » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm

i dont have one but several ppl around claims to have good experiences with that cable. the software i really dont know which one is better for this cars.

carlbentham

Postby carlbentham » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Might just get it for sake of a 10er could prob make a few quid too if its any good, how muck do dealers charge to read ecufault coddes?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 pm

I have one. It works, but only within the OBD standard, which covers everything emissions-related, i.e. the engine. The same with Bluetooth interface will also support the software on an Android phone. It connects using the K-line protocol, CAN bus is only for the specific Renault computer "Clip".
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

carlbentham

Postby carlbentham » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:29 pm

You say anything emissions related? I've got problems relating to either coils, dephaser, mucky throttlebody, crank or cam sensor now crank sensor and loom have been replaced about 18 months ago and the dephaser pully has been replaced 1yr ago with the newer modified one, 3 of 4 coils have been changed but I just want to know for definate what is wrong with it now so think diagnostics is the answer will I get any info reguarding these issues using the mentioned obd lead or are they not emmision faults???? If not any suggestions of one to buy ?? Btw it has been running fine between the mentioned repairs but has got the hesitant performance, crap idle and drinking fuel blues again

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:04 pm

It is a popular question related to a popular misconception. OBD does not do the job for you. It is designed to help (I mean only "to help") an educated (not just trained) engineer to either confirm that the emissions are good, or to locate the fault with a certain and limited accuracy.

Yes, coils dephaser, throttle, cam sensor, etc. are related to emissions and tested by OBD. OBD also gives access to the live parameters of the engine, which can be used in diagnosis if you know what to expect.

carlbentham wrote:You say anything emissions related? I've got problems relating to either coils, dephaser, mucky throttlebody, crank or cam sensor now crank sensor and loom have been replaced about 18 months ago and the dephaser pully has been replaced 1yr ago with the newer modified one, 3 of 4 coils have been changed but I just want to know for definate what is wrong with it now so think diagnostics is the answer will I get any info reguarding these issues using the mentioned obd lead or are they not emmision faults???? If not any suggestions of one to buy ?? Btw it has been running fine between the mentioned repairs but has got the hesitant performance, crap idle and drinking fuel blues again
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Whats the best software for use with these? Ive been able to use in the past 2 that worked, but the other 10 softwares didnt connect...nowadays which one is on the top of the choice list?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I use "Torque" under Android and "ScanMaster" under WindowsXP, both with ELM327. ScanMaster is better, but still imperfect - I had to use Excell to plot the recorded diagrams.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

carlbentham

Postby carlbentham » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Wow sounds compicated, I was under impression it would give similar info to what I seen rac use on my old fiesta, eg misfire cylinder 1, which resulted in a coil pack being poorley, gunna get it anyway and have a play about

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Scanmaster isn't difficult to use. It will show you if something is appearing to fail - ie it will read fault codes and give you a message such as 'P0623 - cam shaft sensor'. As Alex says, this doesn't mean the sensor is kaput. It merely tells you what the ECU records. The problem might be owing to wiring, or anything else. If you use these diagnostics, be open minded as to how to proceed. This is the crucial point - many people read a message and throw parts at the problem. Interpreting the data is the important thing.

OBD is fine for diagnostics. Clip (canbus) is more adventurous if your car support it. The connector is the same. With the clip you can, for example, activate an indicator, or switch on a light with a laptop. This is fine for bizarre problems, but overkill for simple mechanical/electrical issues.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 am

The problem is that Clip is a lot more expensive than this one... :?

Return to “Problems / Questions”