Heater Resistor Plug Melting Help!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bobsy
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Mk1 1.6l

Re: Heater Resistor Plug Melting Help!

Postby bobsy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:04 am

To dig up an old topic,

I have a mk1 Megane which also has a fan that doesn't work!
I've tested the fan directly from the battery & it works!

I've replaced the resistor pack, yet the system still doesn't work!!

In the 2-3 months I've owned the car the fan worked during 1 journey but then gave up again when I came to use the car next so I suspect a similar dodgy connection on my car. However I don't know how different the units are between mk1 and mk2 models?
I know that the mk1 heater resistor is found in the engine bay at the bottom of the windscreen. I also know that the fan is near impossible to remove unlike the mk2! (so I'm glad that works!)

Where will I find this connection to check for it on my mk1? Or is this simply the plug into the heater resistor as mine looks okay (I'm awaiting the delivery of a multimeter to test the connections where I can see them anyway...)

Thanks,
Rob

dgrimwood91
Currently Drives:: Megane

Postby dgrimwood91 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi ive had the same problem but just replaced heater resistor and the loom kit because mine was burnt. but the loom kit have different cables. so heater or fan only works on 2 and 3 with my current wiring, any help would be appreciated

robbx

Postby robbx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi all.

I myself have had this exact same problem. I took my car to a friend who is also a Renault dealer and he said this is a common flaw with these vehicles around that year. So basically what is happening, is the system cannot handle the fourth speed setting of your heater for prolonged periods of time and it will eventually cause the main power supply plug to the heater to melt and fail on the violet wire (thickest wire). If you find your plug has melted in this way then it is strongly recommended to have the plug replaced as a safety precaution and simple look at speed level 4 as something to clear your window and once it's clear, turn it down to speed level 3 or just level 3 as the maximum speed. Hope this helps...

Chango

Postby Chango » Sat May 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Oops! I managed to pull out the old wiring loom connector, but I think I may have pulled the cable a bit too hard and now have an extra cable that has become detached from somewhere behind the panel. Has anyone got any idea what this is for, or where abouts it plugs in?

Return to “Problems / Questions”