service light with airbag sign, intermittent

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Rapidshed
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane dci 120

service light with airbag sign, intermittent

Postby Rapidshed » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:46 pm

driving along, it seems a bit random as cars driving and sounding ok, but service light and airbag light cam eon together and stay on for 5 seconds tops then disappear for a few minutes etcetc,

what is this indicating?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: service light with airbag sign, intermittent

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:28 pm

It indicates that the airbag system becomes inoperable from time to time. Two most common reasons are the connector under the driver's seat and the flat cable inside the steering wheel. The former is so popular that Renault issued a Technical Note about it. It is included into the sticky thread with manuals.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Rapidshed
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane dci 120

Postby Rapidshed » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 pm

excellent many thanks for swift reply, if i undo or play with cables under the seats is there a danger of airbag going off? should i disconnect batery and leave for a short tim ebefore playing about?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:13 pm

In theory, they should not go off, but what if something goes wrong? Renault recommends to disable the airbags by programming the computer and only then proceed. There were reports when people fiddled with the connector after disconnecting the battery for at least 15 minutes and nothing happened. The airbag computer has only a very small battery (possibly a capacitor), which gets discharged completely within minutes. This is all what I know...

I had this problem some time ago, which coincided with the seat sliders almost ceasing. Everything was cured with WD40, moving the slider and cleaning the debris. I am suspecting, the seat position sensor can be also involved.

The airbags are very powerful, by the way. Whatever you do, stay clear of it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Haynes (not the best source of information) states (and it appears to be generic advice) that the battery be disconnected for more than 20 minutes before working on air-bag components. Personally I regard this as slight overkill, but as has been mentioned, probably worth heeding. Capacitors can retain a charge for a long time if not subject to a current drain. When restoring valve amp kit, I've measured over 48V DC after two days disconnection, but this is a different kettle of fish.

The problem is likely where already suggested. I would disconnect the battery; having made a note of the radio code; and window regulator reset procedure. Then check for loose connections - they can be far from obvious. It might almost be prudent to idle the car and wiggle things to see if you can trigger the fault to recur.

If your steering wheel makes scratching sounds, it might be a clock spring problem.

DISCLAIMER: an airbag is basically a bomb. Use common sense!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”