Engine and service light on

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Surfhunny
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Cabriolet

Engine and service light on

Postby Surfhunny » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Ive just been out in my 54Reg :? Megane 1.6 CC and the engine light and service light came on, no alteration in performance or engine noise that I can tell. Will be popping to my friendly mechanic tomorrow to check it out. I seem to remember this came on when I needed my coils changing, but the engine was rough then.

I guess what I'm asking is this, is this combination of lights a general warning (manual says Toxic Fumes) or is it specific to the coils?

Any help welcomed, I like to have a vague idea about what to expect. My mechanic is trustworthy and has worked on the demon car since its first breakdown.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Engine and service light on

Postby davelowe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 pm

The answer often becomes clear when any fault codes are read - they lead to the right destination. BUT - if your mechanic is confused, and he/she might well be - post the results up on here for all to see. We could help! Might well be something simple such as an O2 sensor...
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Surfhunny
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Cabriolet

Postby Surfhunny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:38 pm

It is indeed the O2 sensor. Not got it booked in yet, is it a long job or will it just a day job, just so I can arrange time off etc. even simple jobs such as changing bulbs seem to be a big old pantomime. Also in true dizzy tart style I forgot to ask how much it's likely to cost, any ideas?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 pm

I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment, but I would expect any competent mechanic should be able to replace one in 15 minutes. My guess is £70 for the part and a labour charge (but it is very much a guess).
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”