has my regulator or motor gone?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

c12mgf
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: megane 225 renaultsport

has my regulator or motor gone?

Postby c12mgf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm

relly getting sick of my car, thinks its time to get rid now, anyway

was working fine ubtil today, went to put the window down, abit, worked fine

then went to put it back up but instead of going up it went down abit more, the button only puts the window down but will not put it back up!

back at the house i locked the car then deadlocked it and window came back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell is going on here?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: has my regulator or motor gone?

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:30 pm

It is the same with Audi, the same window regulator faults, similarly easy to fix DIY, but more ripping off by the garages... Read the earlier posts. It is all about cleaning the corroded connector.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm

AlexB wrote:It is the same with Audi, the same window regulator faults, similarly easy to fix DIY, but more ripping off by the garages... Read the earlier posts. It is all about cleaning the corroded connector.

can you show me these posts, had a look and cant find them

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:09 pm

It is easier to type this again...

Basically, I did it twice on different doors since 2003. Every time I read the manual regarding the instructions on how to remove the door panel (see the sticky thread above this one). Every time the fault was found inside the connector to the regulator. The regulator is attached to the motor and can be removed. The fix is to remove the corrosion from the damaged pin of the connector on bot the male and female sides. Then, I paint the surface of the pin with silver conductive paint (sold in small tubes for repair of rear screen heaters and all sorts of circuits). Then, I assemble everything back before the paint dries off. The panel off-on job is 20 minutes, fiddling with the connectors 10-30 minutes. Note, you do not want to remove the whole window mechanism, just take the door panel off (it will hang on wires, which makes the job fiddly).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

is there a step by step to get the door card off?

dont wont to break things again

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:37 pm

cant get the arm rest compartment out

any tips anyone

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm

managed to get it out, will postup my find once my hands warm up and i can finish the job

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:15 pm

It is in the factory manual in the sticky thread above this one. As you say: step by step with pictures...

c12mgf wrote:is there a step by step to get the door card off?

dont wont to break things again
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 pm

got it

everything looks fine cant get my head round it, so closed door and dead locked it and window never went up, so took aprt the motor and now wndow is being held up by bit of wood

need to have a look at it 2mor was to cold and dark, new motor i think is need if i can get to scrap yard

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 pm

These motors are not used much - what can go wrong with it? In fact, it worked, when the window went down. Check the connectors again... If not the connector, then the fault can be inside the regulator. Have you detached the regulator from the motor?

If a switch in the controller (the things you push or pull with your fingers) is faulty, you can try the controller from the opposite side, just to check.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 am

alex to be honest am not sure what is what lol

i took the plugs apart cleaned them put back together same thing happened, closed the door deadlocked and window would not even go up this time!

i have taken the pulley bit apart to free the 2 wires in order to be able to move the window up

i dont no what you mean by detached the motor from regulator

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 pm

The regulator is a small plastic box attached to the motor with a fastener and/or screws (I think). Its other side has a connector to the harness. It is usually a single pin inside the connector which fails. If you look at the pins with a magnifying glass, then you may spot corrosion on one of them (can be a tiny spot literally). This is the cause of the problem, unless the corrosion occurred inside the regulator box on its internal printed circuit board.

It stopped working now, probably because you disturbed the corroded connection, and it does not connect at all now. It can be a good sign, actually, which means that the fault is somewhere on the surface. Don't forget to clean the other part of the connector, which is on the harness. By cleaning I mean finding the spot of corrosion, scrubbing it off, and then painting the contact with the silver conductive paint. It is particularly difficult to clean the female part (which sounds funny indeed).

Examine particularly well the large high-current pin. It failed in two of my doors, both door are on the right side.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

c12mgf
Just Passed

Postby c12mgf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:49 am

well went to breakers yard, got a new motor unit for the sum of £5 great buy, was not to sure as it was from a sport tourer but as it was a £5 i bought it.

stripped the old one down and replaced the motor, tested it all worked well, built the door back up, done final test and.....................

it still worked however in the opposite dirrection from the botton lol so need to strip it down and do it again

but at least i know what am doing know lol

Return to “Problems / Questions”