Megane 1.5dci turbo does not kick in and max speed 60mph

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jamhops
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 100 1.5DCi

Re: Megane 1.5dci turbo does not kick in and max speed 60mph

Postby jamhops » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 pm

i shall try set up torque for that (assuming it can) and take it out tomorrow :cool:
Renault Megane II 54 Plater 1.5dCi 100

RustyC
Currently Drives:: Grand Cherokee
Megane 2. 1.5dCi 196ho gran tour

Postby RustyC » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi all! Google brought me here and how lucky! After all these years!
So, same fault on mine (2006 1.5 dCi 106hp gran tour)...
But the fault is apparent only with a brand new turbo. I know this is all going to be vague but any ideas please I'll run with them all!
I bought it with a head gasket blown due to overheating.
Had that done. It drove beautiful. Lots of power very responsive. For 3 minutes. To the very first hill I came to. Then, I put my foot down, it made a loud whooshing then a bang, and then no power, lots of smoke, high oil pressure warning etc etc. Limped it home where it became apparent the turbo had blown. Oil everywhere and on checking the shaft wobbles and the fans had scraped all around in their little cylinders.
So. Bought a new one. Put it on. No power. Not even enough to get off the driveway, less than without the turbo at least with the broken one idle was enough to limp it home, with the new turbo even idle has no power. And it makes no normal turbo noises. And there's nothing coming out the exhaust. Literally.
I was thinking blocked exhaust. This relates also to a later finding.
First i dropped the downpipe off the turbo. No difference.
Then I swapped the turbos back over.
With the old turbo, the intercooler feed pipe, take it off and put hand over it, it crushes the pipe and stalls the engine.
New turbo it doesn't.
Swapped turbos back over again.
Old turbo lots of air and smoke and whistle in engine bay.
New turbo, nothing.
Swapped them back again. And gave up with it.
Any ideas please help!
There seems to be nothing wrong with the new turbo. When blow through it the fans spin nicely (harder to blow through when the VNT actuator is pulled all way to top). It's not blocked like I thought it might be when blow through it with the VNT actuator left alone there's no resistance. So why then can't the exhaust gases get through?
That pipe that feeds the intercooler, old turbo (the blown up one) blows the pipe off without the hoseclip on. The new turbo can't even be bothered to do that. Full throttle barely gains 2000rpm and when does nothing happens! Still no power, not enough air to blow a pipe off and no more exhaust coming directly out the turbo itself than a cheap hair dryer.
It's the 54399700030 turbo. On 2006 Megane 2. 1.5dCi.
Thanks!

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi,
don't like the whoosh and bang.
However, l believe that when the engine starts, the actuator closes the vnt and the egr valve should be open.
When the engine revs, the vnt opens to stop the turbo spinning to death and l believe the egr closes.
It could be that your new turbo needs the actuator adjusting and the egr may be blocked or not opening.

On start up, can you feel the egr pipe gets hot quickly, that means it's open and working.
Can you also see the actuator move to close the vnt.
Not familiar with the 1.5, but can you take the inlet pipe from the air box off the turbo and see it spinning on idle.
The turbo doesn't 'kick in' it's spinning all the time, but controlled by the vnt and does a balancing act with the egr valve.
What you feel is a power band from the engine when the turbo is pushing the air in.
Don't like the whoosh and bang and hope nothing more serious with engine.
Good luck
Bob.

RustyC

Postby RustyC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi Bob! Thanks so much for replying. Good to hear from you.
Lots of interesting points to check. The actuator arm is in the resting position (like when it's not on the car) at idle. And pulls on the actuator a little when accelerator pushed to floor. In that position when I blow through it there's no resistance. Moving the actuator to the position it would be in under load makes it more difficult to blow through.
The egr valve is shut when its out of the car. When on the car hope this is what you were asking.. the large silver pipe with all the little pipes in it does get hot quickly. I guess that means it's working.
Is it worth adjusting the actuator arm myself? In case you didn't already know, I'm not a mechanic (that's why I'm so grateful for your reply) but I can move a few nuts around! Thanks again
Russ

RustyC

Postby RustyC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Re your other points, I can't take the inlet pipe off to see the compressor fan because the engine cuts out immediately every time. Guessing it needs the MAF sensor to run.
And I think (hope might be better word for it) everything else is okay because with old turbo back on, it revs better (not great but better) and get proper amount of exhaust from it. New turbo it's exactly the symptoms I'd expect if the inlet manifold was blocked.
No power even at idle. Won't rev past about 2000rpm and takes a while to get there. No exhaust gases. That's what's confusing me. Nothing. Turbo on, downpipe off. Revving it you can put you hand over the exhaust end of the actual turbo and hold it there. With the old broken turbo on it's so loud and there's so much hot gases (and black smoke of course) I'm scared to go near it!
Thanks again

RustyC

Postby RustyC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 pm

I've got to assume it's something to do with the turbo or maybe the car knowing it has a new turbo.
The broken turbo is actually the car better option for trying to get it off the driveway. The new turbo doesn't just do nothing. It's worse than not having a turbo. The turbo is actually choking or strangling (or whatever it's called) the car.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Don't understand why it cuts out when inlet pipe removed.
Have you tried it with maf disconnected.
As a try, disconnect battery for a while to remove all charge, then when connected just let engine idle for a while, don't rev.
Also clean both the maf and map sensors.
Is the old turbo chucking oil into the inter cooler pipe, you do get spatters but is it bad.
l imagine that the new turbo will be a little stiff and not turn as easy as the old one but this is ridiculous.
l read your original post and you may have to go back to where the head was done.
Bob.

RustyC

Postby RustyC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Re maf sensor, u mean unplug it, then take pipe off. Haven't tried that. Will do can see turbo spinning then. I'll also do the ecu discharge thing. Let u know how it goes. Thanks a million! There was some oil in inlet but cleaned all those pipes out.

Return to “Problems / Questions”