Rattling dephaser pulley solution megane 2 1.6 16v vvti!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

pr3man
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 vvt 2004

Rattling dephaser pulley solution megane 2 1.6 16v vvti!!

Postby pr3man » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 pm

I hope I have posted this in the right section, if not please feel free to move it admin :)

I owe it to all the users of this forum to post my solution as I have gained invaluable info since registering on the site. You may also notice this is only my first post.

So a little background;

I like the rest of you have had many problems and have replaced many parts;

2x O2 sensors
TDC sensor
Coolant temp sensor
4x Coils
top and dogbone engine mount
drive shafts
window regs

I have had a rattly depaser pulley on start up from cold and sometimes from starting from warm, the pulley would rattle when the engine starts and then stall. I would have to rev the engine slightly before the engine would then idle properly.

Nice, cheap and simple solution that worked for me (and I hope it works for you)

I did an oil change and added 2 cans of oil flush to the old oil and ran the car as instructed on the can.
I then did a mini service and hey presto!

Since then I have not heard a single peep from the pulley and the car has started first time, every time!

I can't believe this could be a coincidence but I'm sure others will try to tell me different, it has worked for me, that's all I'm saying and it could work for you!

Please post on here if my solution works!

I hope this helps guys, good luck and happy motoring!

Paul

pr3man
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 vvt 2004

Re: Rattling dephaser pulley solution megane 2 1.6 16v vvti!

Postby pr3man » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Quick update..

I did this 1 mont ago and still not a peep out of the pulley so far. This has been a 100% solution for me!

SHROSS
Currently Drives:: 1.6 16v megane2 sedan

Postby SHROSS » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 pm

When I bought my megane 05 (1.6vvt) It had a slight rattle noise near the dephaser . I suspected the dealer never had the car serviced as he promised , so I did my home work and did a full service . After the service (oil and filter change) the motor has been purring like a kitten ! Im sure these dephasers have very fine tolerences and need a specific quality oil and clean filter to work properly !

dean-weston
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 54 Megane 2 - 1.6VVT

Postby dean-weston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm

pr3man wrote:Quick update..

I did this 1 mont ago and still not a peep out of the pulley so far. This has been a 100% solution for me!

Hi, please have a look at my post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19167 regarding rattling dephaser, I have just done an oil change this evening after running a can of flush through it, filled up with 5\30 oil - im now just waiting till i start it up in the morning to see if its cured it

dean-weston
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 54 Megane 2 - 1.6VVT

Postby dean-weston » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 am

dean-weston wrote:
pr3man wrote:Quick update..

Hi, please have a look at my post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19167 regarding rattling dephaser, I have just done an oil change this evening after running a can of flush through it, filled up with 5\30 oil - im now just waiting till I start it up in the morning to see if its cured it

Well, 1st start up @ 07:15 (although it was not particularly cold morning) - no noise from dephaser, car seems to be driving better... more torque, better acceleration and response, sounds a bit better on tick-over too.

The old oil was BLACK :shock: , I don’t just mean dirty, it was horrible. ALSO, whilst changing the oil I removed the dephaser solenoid and gave this a good clean with WD40 and then dipped it in clean oil and replaced.

So if in 10 days this is still working, im planning another flush and oil change to ensure any crap and gunk is out of the system.

What oil is recommended, im currently a running 5w30 fully synth from UniPart ??

Thanks all.
D

rowli23

Postby rowli23 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for information. Did your car judder in 1st gear also until it warmed up.
Thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”