glow plugs

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

glow plugs

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 am

Hi is there a guide on here on how to change the glow plugs on a me.gane? Had a look but cant find one. Also is therr much of a difference from the cheap glow plugs off Ebay and the morr expensive ones
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: glow plugs

Postby AlexB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Read the manual first, ask second. The manuals are in the sticky thread. The glow plugs are Beru with some code that I can't remember.

It is important to torque them correctly, or expensive repairs may follow. The same with removing. Do not apply torque more than three times of the rated torque. The glow plugs are removed when the engine is hot. You will need a long 10mm socket with 1/4'' extension bar. When the glow plug starts going, wiggle it by turning one way then another to avoid the tip breaking off and falling in the cylinder. There can be carbon deposits on the tip, which sometimes make removal difficult in high mileage engines.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 pm

I still have the original manual for my car so no need to look at the online one. The manual doesn't tell me how to change a light bulb so i doubt it will have a guide on how to change a glow plug hence im asking on here. If im wrong and it does indeed have a guide please correct me. I also asked about the different makes of glow plugs and if one make was better than another. This is something I also very much doubt will be in the manual. So while I appreciate you reply as I need all the help I can get please do not tell me to go read the manual first before posting. This is a forum after all, questions should be welcomed.
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 am

I doubt that the factory workshop manual came with your car; if printed out it would occupy the whole book shelf. On the subject of replacing the glow plugs it does not say much - basicaly, I summarised it for you. I just looked up the torque value, it is 15Nm.

Regarding the makes - I used Beru GF018, which were available cheap (£7 each) from my local GSF shop, and which are OEM. Fiddling with makes of glow plugs will not give you any more horse forces, so I just bought the OEM part.

Why am I not supposed to suggest everyone to read the manuals before posting? I took time and wrote a lengthy annotation of them plus the official technical notes.Ray made the thread sticky and mirrored the documents for your enjoyment. You may find these useful. Have a look at the sticky thread at the top of the Problems section.

PS: the manual in question gives clear recommendation regarding the headlight bulbs, which are replaced upon removal the bumper. The instructions on how to remove the bumper are included. If you install the whole workshop system in your computer, it will also give you the estimated man-hours for each job... The installation discs are cheap on ebay, search for Dyalogys.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”