No power on take off in first and second gears

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jimones
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 diesel

No power on take off in first and second gears

Postby Jimones » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 am

My 1.4 DCI Megane, 05 reg has developed a power problem. When I try to accelerate from a standing position the engine appears to rev normally but when the clutch is released it feels as though there is no power to the engine. By revving and creeping forward and then engaging 2nd gear the car starts to gain momentum and once in third and fourth gears it is running normally again. Does anyone know what this might be? I have had some strange feeling in the clutch pedal recently where it feels as though it is not coming off the floor but that is very intermittant. Could it be related? Any help would be much appreciated.

Rapidshed
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane dci 120

Re: No power on take off in first and second gears

Postby Rapidshed » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:07 am

when you say revs are normal, do you mean there rising? fast? but no go?

may be the clutch slipping what mileage and have you ever had it replaced, odd that its engaging at higher gears but that may start to change etc.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:44 pm

or it's the common master/slave cylinder problem if the pedal isn't coming up off the floor properly.

Jimones
Passed Theory

Postby Jimones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for your reply, Ray. I have been working over the whole weekend and today so I will only be able to look at it tomorrow, or late today if I can escape work early. The revs seem to be normal with the clutch pedal depressed so it does not seem to be a fuel starvation. I haven't noticed the clutch slipping or the pedal not coming off the floor but on the day this happened, my wife had the car so I will check tomorrow. May I then come back to you? The car does have a high mileage, nearing 100,000 miles.

Jimones
Passed Theory

Postby Jimones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks also to Rapidshed for the reply. Can I please get to you as well when I have investigated?

Jimones
Passed Theory

Postby Jimones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I have now a chance to look at the car myself. It does not appear to be a clutch related problem. When it starts from cold, it seems as though it wants to cut out when you depress the accelerator and clouds of black smoke come out of the exhaust. I have checked the glow plugs as advised in the forum and they all have the same voltage as the battery so I am discounting them. Could it be a blocked filter of some sort or I have read about cleaning the throttle body. Any thoughts from either Ray or Rapidshed or anyone else for that matter.

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm

do a EGR cleaning for start. my idea is that you notice more the lack of power on the lowest gears because the power delivered by the engine is more noticeable at low speeds than it is at higher speeds. lets hope you solve it

good luck

Rapidshed
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane dci 120

Postby Rapidshed » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 pm

black smoke is the carbon crap built up in the exhaust, you may find that its cat related, it ay be failing at 100k and in need of a change, its not allowing the exhaust gasses to free flow and is causing back pressure hence no power,

this is an easy one to sort if you can source another cat cheap, other option is to get it on a diagnostic machine bud and see if it throws up any codes.

is your heater working, any overheating or mayo in oil/coolant, are you using oil/coolant?

might be comporession related through headgasket falire.

Return to “Problems / Questions”