Front Seat Wiring Nightmare

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Glennst
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane 1.6 Coupe

Front Seat Wiring Nightmare

Postby Glennst » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Afternoon All,

Model: 2004 1.6 Megane II Coupe

I bought the above vehicle with the airbag & Serivce light illuminated on the dashboard, a risk I took as I was getting quite a cheap deal (although you get what you pay for comes to mind). The car does seem to be running perfect, it had a full recent serivce and does not appear to have any other faults at this time.

My ignorance comes in trying to resolve the mystery dash lights, and it is for this task that I need your assistance. After many hours on the internet I see that this is a very common fault with the Megane and is usually caused by faulty connectors under the drivers seat. It would appear that the previous owner also had this idea as the two connectors have been cut off and the wires from the seat to the under carpet loom taped together.

Obviously this has not resolved the issue, and now I have no idea if the guilty party even matched the wires up correctly. I have tried everywhere to find a wiring diagram or even replacement connectors but to no avail.

Can anyone on this fourm point me in the direction of a wiring guide for the underseat connectors, or perhaps where I could find new items. I have been on the phone to a Renault Stealership and once he started talking about days of labour and around £500 I lost the will to live.

Appreciate any assistance you can give. I also have the MOT coming up in February and I believe having any dash warning lights on at all now consitutes a fail ?

Cheers

G

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Front Seat Wiring Nightmare

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Have you also checked the connection under the passenger seat?

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:24 pm

With reference to your concern about the MOT:-

Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS), which in essence is airbags, comes into the test officially May 2012.

At the moment a faulty light will only warrant an advise, but in a few months time it will be a fail.

Check out VOSA's MoT magazine issue 52 page 8 for further info.

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications ... esting.htm

Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Glennst
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane 1.6 Coupe

Postby Glennst » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:56 am

morganjake1544 wrote:Have you also checked the connection under the passenger seat?

Not quite sure what you mean. The connectors from under both seats have been cut off by the previous owner, and wires taped together.

Appreciate the MOT comments.

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 am

cut off? you will have that light forever until you repair that...or place a resistor with the right value on the tip of the wire. (i dont know the value of the resistor). Your seat belt pre-tensioning system will not work with the resistor solution.

cheers

c12mgf
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: megane 225 renaultsport

Postby c12mgf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:40 am

if you still have the connections there, and they have just been taped back together, why not take it apart and connect them back up see if that works. could be poor connection.

it might not even be the connections under the seat could be the rotary behind the steering wheel.

as for your dash lights, you could always take out the bulbs!!!! does not fix fault but will held with mot

Return to “Problems / Questions”