First Fault - Severe Rattle / Clunking

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

First Fault - Severe Rattle / Clunking

Postby ikhan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Just had my first fault - the car has suddenly developed a severe rattle and clunking from the rear on mildly uneven roads. I thought is was the exhaust but that seems ok. Haven't been able to have a look underneath though as it was dark. Could be the heat shield or perhaps a clap from the exhaust... any other ideas? Garages will be shu for the next few days and I dont fancy driving it in that state....
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: First Fault - Severe Rattle / Clunking

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:55 am

usually a heat shield in the middle of the car. oddly caused by driving into a massive puddle which bends the heatshield.

ikhan
Advanced Driver

Postby ikhan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply Ray.

I've just had a quick glance under the car and I think I know what it is.... :cry

The shock absorber on the driver's side is missing it's lower mounting nut.... the guy who fitted my springs must have left this loose but prior to this, there were no clunks of any sort that would have normally had me worried enough to check.

Also, the mounting bracket for this also seems to be missing - can this be bough separately? Has any one got a diagram of the rear suspension or knwo of the part that I need to get? I don't want to be too harsh on the garage because the guy did me a favour as he doesn't actually do any mechanical work due to ill health and he's local....

TIA
Lowered 45mm (Spax)

ikhan
Advanced Driver

Postby ikhan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Just had another look to make sure - and it's a good job I did :oops:

The shock absorber is fine - the bolt is hidden by the plastic cover which is missing on the passenger side :oops:

So I guess it needs to go on a ramp to see what is loose but that means waiting until Wednesday - don't want to use the car like this!
Lowered 45mm (Spax)

ikhan
Advanced Driver

Postby ikhan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:12 pm

Back again :oops:

I was painting my calipers today so I thought I'd take a closer look when I've got each corner of the car jacked up...

Last corner (driver's side rear) felt a bit 'weird' - this was the one I initially thought had the nut missing but then saw the nut was still there. However, although the nut is there, the shock absorber is NOT attached. I couldn't get a very good look as I didn't have any axle stands to hand (not that I've ever been comfortable using them :oops: ) but I could feel that there 'hole' in the bottom mounting of the shock was hollow, i.e. missing a bush. I'm not sure if the bolt has broken or even how the shock is supposed to be fitted (big washer?) but the shock has obviously come out of it's mounting hole - hope this makes sense.

So I'm guessing I need a new bolt and a bush assuming the mounting on the shock is still intact, or will the shock need to be replaced? I did drive teh car about 5 ot 6 miles to get home, so I'm hoping the spring won't be damaged (looks ok).
Lowered 45mm (Spax)

Return to “Problems / Questions”