Passenger Window.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

simon_P
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DC! Dynamique

Passenger Window.

Postby simon_P » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post as I am new to this forum so I am sorry if I am asking a question that already has the answer on here.
I have a 57 plate 1.5 dci which I have had since it was new, all has been fine until now.
The front passenger window has stopped working all of a sudden! lucky for me the window is shut. Then the next day my wife tried to open it and it went down about 10mm and it has not moved up or down since then.

It does not work from any switch or from the remote when the car is locked. Any ideas? is there a relay for each window?

Thanks in advance for your help :?: :?:

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Passenger Window.

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 am

sounds like regulator.
easiest way - take off the negative from the battery terminal, put it back on, press the lock button twice on the remote. the window should go back up, maybe not fully though. repeat until fully closed. secure the negative terminal when done.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am

This is usually caused by the connector of the harness to the regulator (attached to the motor). Just clean the contacts, paint them with a conductive silver paint and put everything back together. See the manual in the sticky thread for the instructions on door disassembly.

Ray's advice may work or may not depending upon which contact in the connector has failed. It nay also come back to life on its own, if you keep trying all sorts of things continuously and for a long time, but this will be for a very short time only.

Garages usually replace the whole window mechanism and neglect to clean the connector on the harness. Then, it fails again very soon, and there are many reports about such repeated failures...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

simon_P
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DC! Dynamique

Postby simon_P » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Thank you very much for your help guys, I will try them at the weekend

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Simon,

Good to find another DIYer. Please note that the disassembly procedures from the manual are aimed at removal of the whole window mechanism. You, however, only need to remove the inside panel and get access to the regulator attached to the motor. The panel, as I remember, will hang on something, still obstructing access. So, the job will be a bit fiddly, but still doable. You will need Phillips and star screwdriver bits. Please have a flashlight and your reading glasses at hand. The speaker grill and the upper half-panel can be a bit tricky to unfasten, as the plastic becomes stiff when cold - you have to pull them until the plastic rivets come out. I use a silver conductive paint, the same that is often used on the rear screen heater tracks, to repair the coating on the connector pins. Otherwise, they will corrode again. I also used a freezer bag to make a kind of a hood protecting the motor with the regulator from water coming from above. The job is likely to take about an hour, as you are doing it for the first time.

The regulator can be detached from the motor by removing a couple of screws and pulling it (i can't remember in what direction). Usually, it is the connector between the regulator and the harness which fails, so you may not need to remove it at all.

Once the job is done, recalibrate the regulator - window up, hold the switch up for 5 seconds, window down, keep the switch pressed down for 5 seconds.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”