High oil consumption

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jammie667
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II Dynamique 1.9 DCI 120

High oil consumption

Postby Jammie667 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi All.

First off, the problem car is an 04 reg, 1.9 dci (120) with ~97,500 miles on the clock.

Now, I had it serviced approx. a month ago and it also went in a couple of days after that for a diagnostic check which chucked up 8(!!) errors, all of which the garage cleared after checking the car over and have not come back. The oil was replaced during the service and full when I took it away from the garage. Now, the oil is almost empty and the STOP light and oil lights are coming on when I go around roundabouts for a few seconds before switching off again. Does anyone know what could be causing this excessive oil consumption? There is no leak that I can see, the car is parked in the same spot every night and there are no patches on the parking space. I did think I noticed clouds of smoke for a couple of weeks after the service but wasn't 100% sure, so I think it could be burning the oil. Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen on google suggestions of Turbo seals leaking, anyone have any experience of this? Will I need to sit down when I find out the price to repair/replace?

Cheers
James
'04 1.9 DCI 120 Dynamique - 5Dr Hatch - Metallic Red
Bought 4th April 09

Jammie667
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II Dynamique 1.9 DCI 120

Re: High oil consumption

Postby Jammie667 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Also, when travelling around 70mph there is a loud droning sort of noise, which gets louder the more you press the accelerator. No doubt this will be yet another problem to add to the list... :banghead
'04 1.9 DCI 120 Dynamique - 5Dr Hatch - Metallic Red
Bought 4th April 09

Vintyd
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.4 16v

Postby Vintyd » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Don't drive the car if it has low oil, dip it and confirm how much oil is in there and top up if needed. The droning noise could possibly be a wheel bearing on the way out? Does it hum louder the faster you go?

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Check as soon as possible the oil type they've used on your engine. Did the engine consumed oil before that service? What about the noise? Is when you go faster or when the engine revs up more?

cheers

Return to “Problems / Questions”