2004 Megane outer CV Joint replacement - Tutorial

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bloobloo
Currently Drives:: Mitsubishi Pajero, Renault Megane II, Renault Clio II

2004 Megane outer CV Joint replacement - Tutorial

Postby bloobloo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi folks, after a long search on the above subject, it seemed my only option according to this forum and other forums was to replace the whole shaft. Not being entirely happy with this option I decided to take a closer look at the joint and see what I could do.

This is what I started with

I had already removed the strut as the spring had cracked and needed replacing, there is no need to completley remove the strut though as it will just swing out of the way once you have removed the top drop link bolt, track rod end and bottom ball joint.

Once I had removed the boot from the CV joint I could see more clearly and noticed splines! hmmm why would there be splines if it cannot be split.....

Feeling Brave I decided to get the big hammer out and give it a good old whack! This is what happened..

Ordered the new CV from JR (18.99 +p&p)

The new joint comes with all you need, although I opted to use jubilee clips instead of the supplied thingymabobs as they looked a bit feeble.

Make sure that you locate the old circlip and replace it with the supplied new one

Dont forget to put the boot on the shaft first along with the clip, pack the new joit with the supplied greaseand then put the rest of the grease into the boot. Then line the splines up on the shaft with the splines inside the new joint and tap it into place with a soft face mallet to make sure that no threads are damaged.
This is what you should end up with, a nice looking new CV joint ! PS, dont forget to torque up the 30mm nut.

Refit the bottom ball joint, drop link and track rod end, taking care to make sure that the ABS cable is located back into place at the bottom of the strut, refit roadwheels and anything else you may have removed and all done. Should take about an hour if you are quite handy with the spanners, if not, then add another half hour.

Hope this helps someone

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: 2004 Megane outer CV Joint replacement - Tutorial

Postby davelowe » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Excellent post.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:47 am

Rebuild shaft for £19. Nice one.

bloobloo
Currently Drives:: Mitsubishi Pajero, Renault Megane II, Renault Clio II

Postby bloobloo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Glad you like it, hopefully it will help people save a few quid!

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:47 pm

bloobloo wrote:Glad you like it, hopefully it will help people save a few quid!

we are talking about 200 quid or something...that huge.. :D

Sunseeker75
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Coupe/Cab..2004 1.6 Petrol

Postby Sunseeker75 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi,

New to this site. I have had my renault Megane Coupe/Cab..2004 1.6 Petrol for just over a year. It has had quite a bit of work done to it within the last few months. However, in the last few weeks I have noticed a clicking and clunking sound when turning. I have been told this is probably the CV Joint so I have ordered 2 for £46.92. Being a novice with mechanics are these not too bad to replace? Any help or suggestions as to what it could be would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Return to “Problems / Questions”