cambelt change (sorted fuel consumption)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SHROSS
Currently Drives:: 1.6 16v megane2 sedan

cambelt change (sorted fuel consumption)

Postby SHROSS » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Dont Know if Im posting in the correct place ?

Anyway ! I bought my 2nd hand 1.6 vvt Megane 2 sedan not too long ago , and was told it recived a full service and cambelt change , so I neednt worry about a service in a while . But myself , being very sceptical of anything coming out of a 2nd hand car salesmans mouth , decided to purchase a Haynes manual and carry out a full service anyway .

When I removed the timing belt covers , I noticed the new belt and tensioners etc . On futher inspection I noticed the cam timing was very out ! The futher I went on with the job the more mistakes I kept noticeing ! The biggest issue was that saw the guy who did the belt replacement hand made marks on the pullys to do the timming (He couldnt have used the tdc pin or cam lock tool !) Its a miricle he didnt bend valves etc , as these pullys are not keyed . I even had to drill-out bolts that inner splines had been striped !

This job should have taken ne about 3 to 4 hours . I ended up spending 9 hours mostly correcting bad workmanship ! It would have been easier if they just left the servicing to me in the first place !

Now that its all in place CORRECTLY , the little 1.6 pulls smoother and has better fuel consumption !

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: cambelt change (sorted fuel consumption)

Postby AlexB » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Well done indeed! The next time you can use the factory manual in stead of Haynes, see the PDF documents in the sticky thread above the other threads in this forum.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

SHROSS
Currently Drives:: 1.6 16v megane2 sedan

Re: cambelt change (sorted fuel consumption)

Postby SHROSS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks ALEXB ! Will have a look at the pdf files ! Just got back from a 600km (375 miles) in mountionus terrein and got an average fuel consumption of 6.6ltrs per 100 km ! this fig should come down if I drive on more flat roads !

Return to “Problems / Questions”