**FIXED** Indicator flashing quickly when braking

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

keithroy
Currently Drives:: Megane mk II 1.6 petrol

**FIXED** Indicator flashing quickly when braking

Postby keithroy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi - hope someone can help.

Basically my wife drives a 2006 megane 16v. Last night while driving home in the dark we noticed an issue with the indicator flashing quickly - like you would expect it to if one of the bulbs had gone. However, all 3 bulbs were flashing (quickly) and the problem only occurs while the rear lights and brake lights are on. So;

Indicate right = fine
turn lights on & Indicate right = fine
turn lights on & Indicate right & press the brake petal = flashing quickly - come off the brake pedal and we are back to normal.

This doesnt happen with indicating left. I'm thinking possibly loose earth connection, a fuse has gone or a knackard relay somewhere. Has anyone else had similar issues or have any suggestions on what to look for?

P.S. As a side note all of the dash lights went off for 2 minutes the other day, then came back on.... related do you think?

Thanks
Last edited by keithroy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Indicator flashing quickly when braking

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:15 am

i'd go with earth connection. start with rear light clusters.

keithroy

Postby keithroy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Ray wrote:i'd go with earth connection. start with rear light clusters.

OK so now is when I most need help..... :-(

How to I find the earth connection? Where is it? Once I know where to look I'm happy enough replacing it if I need to thats fine, just have no idea where it could be???

Thanks again

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Remove the cluster and follow the wires, removing trim as necessary. You will see one wire going to a bolt to the metal chassis. This is the earth wire.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Fin1uk

Postby Fin1uk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 pm

I had same problem; however, I also had a brake light out, popped in a new brake bulb, and everything seems to be ok. Although car hasn't turned a wheel since Sunday.

Let me know how the earth search goes, just incase.

keithroy

Postby keithroy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 pm

No problem thanks for all your help - probably update next week

priceyboy
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dymanique

Postby priceyboy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Help the exact same problem last week. What i did was remove to light cluster, disconnect the connector plug and found very slight corrosion on one of the male terminals. Removed this with a sharp knife, reconnected and hey presto. Hope this helps...

Fin1uk

Postby Fin1uk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:41 am

Any joy with this, mines has started the quick flashing when braking again......

Electrics on this car are a joke; passenger window works when it wants, notice side light was out the other day tapped the lights on the way past in the morning hey presto the side light came back on, the illumination for the AC button and dial for controlling air flow is just as bad works for a while the nothing for ages.

:banghead

Grant.Parker
Currently Drives:: Renault Megan Hatch 1.9 DCI

Postby Grant.Parker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:24 am

Hi,

Had the exact same problem, I removed rear cluster (Right Hand Side) & noticed that one of the male connectors where completely corroded to the point where cleaning it was impossible as it had gotten so short that it no longer made contact with the female connector.

I ended up replacing the cluster, removing the female connector as a piece of the male connector was broken off in it posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=18406# I have no idea what caused it though.

Cheers
Grant

xwemr
Currently Drives:: 2007 Black 1.6 Dynamique Megane II -5 Door

Postby xwemr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:15 am

Many thanks will look into this current problem on mine ,left hand cluster though

keithroy

Postby keithroy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:53 am

UPDATE: Fixed! :D

Issue was basically disco lights when indicating and braking at same time

Bought some Servisol from Maplin for £4.99

I took cluster off, disconnected all the connections, no rust/water, it all looked very clean but I sprayed it all anyway (takes a while to dry but the wind helped!) also removed carpet from side of boot and trim along the bottom to get to the Earth, again this looked very clean but I gave it a good rub with sandpaper, then spray with Servisol. Also sprayed the light board around the bulbs

Left for about an hour, put it all back together again and worked fine straight away, very happy!

Thanks for all advice, now just need to work out why the door pockets are full of water :banghead

Return to “Problems / Questions”