2004 Megane Coupe water issues

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Glennst
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane 1.6 Coupe

2004 Megane Coupe water issues

Postby Glennst » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Afternoon folks,

I have a severe problem with my 2003 Megane Coupe, a problem which is going to get worse once the winter freeze arrives. Every single morning the car is filled with condensation, to the point that a film of water sits on the inside of every window. I follow the usual treatment of warming car, circulating air, using a sponge to remove water, but my concern is that soon the ice will arrive and my windows will start to freeze on the inside. I have also noticed a sloshing noise coming from behind the dashboard when cornering or accelerating, this suggests a blockage to me. There is no damp anywhere else in the car, carpets etc are always dry.

So after some reading I believe I need to check a few seals and drain a few things, but I dont know how to do this or where things are located. Can you kind people help me with the following;

1. Sunroof drainage - Are there drain holes in the roof somewhere that I can check ? (I have one of those panoramic sunroofs)
2. Sloshing noise - Do I need to drain the heating system somehow , I hear of a drainage plug under the car ????
3. Scuttle panel under front window - Do these need drained, is there a procedure to follow ?

Any and all advice welcome.

Glennst

Re: 2004 Megane Coupe water issues

Postby Glennst » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:12 pm

UPDATE.

I have just found a pool of water in both storage boxes under the front floor mats.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:21 pm

The windscreen drains are blocked from the sound of things. Look through the plastic grills between the bonnet and the windscreen. You should be able to make out at least one drain hole (or a lot of water!). If you can, poke something such as a coat hanger into it - that should rod it clear (look for a rush of water under the car). If you can't see what's what, remove the windscreen wipers and that whole piece of trim (mark the wiper position with tape on the glass first). The trim comes off with common sense and a flat bladed screwdriver.

From memory the problem occurs as the water sits in this 'bay' and eventually finds a way into the cabin via a grommet in the firewall or some such thing - hence the sloshing sound and wet feet.

The other issue with regard to the air conditioning is caused by the condensate drain blocking. This is found somewhere above the exhaust heat shielding under the car (from memory). If it blocks, condensate collects inside the car instead of being allowed to pass outside.

You do not have to drain the heater coolant to cure this problem (unless, and I haven't heard of it, something has burst). In this instance the 'water' would have a highly aromatic smell - not unlike maple leaf juice - and you would have a low level of coolant in the reservoir. I've never heard of an internal coolant leak on this model car.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Cheers for the assistance, it would appear your diagnosis was correct.

I pulled the wipers and associated trim off to behold a pool of water under the drivers side wiper. Upon inspection the drainage hole was plugged with sludge and after some pokery with a wire hanger all cleared out the bottom of the car. I see the air con vent is situated above this drainage hole (behind the wiper motor) so I would imagine that the bay filled with water easily and quite often due to the recent downpours, thus water could easily have entered the bulkhead area.

I hope this has stopped the water intake, however there appears to be a pool under the front carpets so I will pull them up today and dry out. I would like to inspect this condensate drain you speak off, I have a mechanics pit at home so will get under the car ok but if someone can guide me to the plug it would be appreciated.

Thanks again Dave.

Glennst

Postby Glennst » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Update 2:

As stated above, the carpets have always felt dry to the touch and I always assumed that the condensation was a bit of damp entering via window seal etc. Well I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the carpets and foam up to find a load of water sloshing about on the floor pan, in and out of every groove. The bottom of the foam was of course saturated and I couldn't believe just how much water there was. I estimate a good kettles worth of water was scooped from each side and the foam is currently drying in my living room. The wiring has also been sitting in the water for lord knows how long so is it any wonder the connectors under the seats are riddled with problems.

I had a feel around and the foam below the pedals and surrounding area was bone dry, same on the passenger side. This has confused me as I would presume the water would leak from the wiper motor area (air intake or faulty seal) and run down the footwell and gather in the lowest area (storage box). I had a really good inspection and only the foam around the storage box was soaked, so where is the water coming from ???

When I pulled the carpet I also noticed a reddish tube running from under the drivers side dash, down along the door sill and heading towards the back of the car, any ideas what this is ?

Cheers

Return to “Problems / Questions”