Clean out your scuttle drains before it's too late!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Clean out your scuttle drains before it's too late!

Postby MéganeDynamique » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 pm

A quick warning to you fellow Mégane II owners.

We have two in our household so are well aware of the common issues. I recently opened the underfloor cubby in Mum's '03 Privilege to find it nearly full to the brim with water! Chucked it all out with a jug and was waiting for a better day to clean out the scuttle drains. Two days later mum reports that the fan has completely stopped working. No climate control at all! Oh dear.

Turns out that when the drains are blocked, the water flows in to the cabin via the air intake which obviously supplies the fan which sits behind the centre console. This had got damp and failed. I checked the well below the windscreen and it was completely full of stagnant, dirty water. With the bonnet open, I was able to squeeze my hand under the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen to unlock the drains. A good 10 litres of water gushed out under the Meggy! I removed the heater fan, sacrificing my knuckles in the process, left it below the radiator overnight and doused it in WD40 the next morning. It works again.

I dread to think what other electrical gremlins would appear if this water was left for a longer period of time, so please, take action now and make sure your drains are clear before it's too late!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Clean out your scuttle drains before it's too late!

Postby davelowe » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Common problem - but top tip! Especially now that autumn is/might be/will soon be dumping leaves everywhere.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

DIRTY HARRY
Currently Drives:: Magane II 1.9 dci 120

Postby DIRTY HARRY » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Any pictures of where these are? Only had my megane s few weeks so don't no my way around it yet.

Thanks

STH
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Gold Coloured Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

Postby STH » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:00 am

pictures please its raining !
1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Quarts Colour Coded Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver

Postby MéganeDynamique » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm

OK yes pictures coming this weekend!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

STH
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Gold Coloured Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

Postby STH » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Well be look forward to do this job on weekend.
1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Quarts Colour Coded Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver

Postby MéganeDynamique » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Sorry, it's been raining non-stop here. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

whufc1990
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: megane II 2.0 DYNAMIQUE black

Postby whufc1990 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 am

Do you know how to take the heater fan out ? my fan is missing some blades, which is causing some horrid vibrating :-(

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver

Postby MéganeDynamique » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 pm

It's a bit of a vile job the first time you do it to be honest. I used my Haynes manual which provides some useful pictures... I suppose I should have actually photographed the job as I did it, sorry about that. The glovebox needs removed (3 screws in the top of it and two on the edge, exposed with the passenger door is open). This gives access to behind the centre console. Access is easier if you unscrew the one screw holding the UCH in place behind the glovebox. The fan is behind the centre console and you twist it to remove it. It's a bugger to get back in, expect bleeding knuckles!!

STH
Learner Driver

Postby STH » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:01 am

MéganeDynamique wrote:It's a bit of a vile job the first time you do it to be honest. I used my Haynes manual which provides some useful pictures... I suppose I should have actually photographed the job as I did it, sorry about that. The glovebox needs removed (3 screws in the top of it and two on the edge, exposed with the passenger door is open). This gives access to behind the centre console. Access is easier if you unscrew the one screw holding the UCH in place behind the glovebox. The fan is behind the centre console and you twist it to remove it. It's a bugger to get back in, expect bleeding knuckles!!

Do you think it would be worth buying the Haynes manual before stating this job? cheers

Return to “Problems / Questions”