Possible EGR?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

rbrocky
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 172 replica

Possible EGR?

Postby rbrocky » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:48 pm

I drive a 2003 dynamique 1.6 16v K4m

The problem started when i failed my MOT on Cat emmissions in turn the entire exhaust system was changed due to the problems being obvious from underneath. (very tinny, rattley, cat was breaking up inside and degrading)

anyways the exhaust was changed and then now it seams that i have a hole in my exhaust (1.5 weeks later). took it to the place i had it fitted. they welded up the small pin holes sounded silent on pull off as it should, got not even 1 mile up the road (not driving hard). and suddenly a quite load rumble and pop as though i have a decat or the exhaust is broken/hole at the cat.

drive it back towards the same garage, noise goes away and sounds normal.
drive round the block again, it was back.
put it on the ramps and gone. it sounded almost as though it was an aftermarket exhaust on tap tbh!

they assured me after having it on the ramps for 30 mins with me reving on and off that there was NO damage on the new exhaust. they suggested it may be a clogged up EGR valve creating the exhaust pressure and gasses to swirl up in an abnormal way, therefore creating the noise.

they suggested i took it on a long motorway journey and MAYBE it might clear up the problem. but if it gets worse i will def need to replace it.

sound about right guys?

is changing the egr necessary? is there a way of clearing it through? if so how? also would changing the egr be a hard/time consuming job?

thanks in advance

Brocky

bobada
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci 130

Re: Possible EGR?

Postby bobada » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi,

Im no tekkie but Ive recently cleaned my EGR valve but mines a 1.9 dci. It was relatively straight forward to do and there was a big improvement after.

Im not sure theres a guide on here on the 1.5 engine, may be worth investing in a Haynes manual for £20. Have a look at this thread http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16807

Its for the 1.9 i know but may point you in the right direction.

Megane 1.9 Dci 130

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Possible EGR?

Postby davelowe » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't think that engine has an EGR valve. If I'm correct, the garage is messing you around for not fixing your problem. If I'm wrong, someone will point it out!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”