**FIXED** Steering rack CLICKING - Please Read....

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: Steering rack CLICKING - Please Read....

Postby tomalamix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm

if its the rack there isnt such thing as repair it, it must be swapped. Normally you give your steering rack and they will give you a refurbished one. The interior parts are changed and then sold again. By the interior i mean the rack and the pinion (sometimes the pinion is not necessary to change). The problem is i dont know where to buy this repair kit, but it exists for sure because there are several aftermarket brands that sell you the complete rack refurbished. If its refurbished it must be refurbished with other new parts, the worn parts. If you can find where to get those parts post back

cheers

dean-weston
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 54 Megane 2 - 1.6VVT

Postby dean-weston » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm

From what has been said on here and what i can see, im sure its the top strut bearing, the repair kit is available on Ebay for about 25 quid -

thanks -

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 pm

thats for the top mount bearing ans support...the problem is the steering rack... :?

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 am

dean-weston wrote:Sorry for the late reply guys, iv been on holiday - so after taking your advice i jacked the car up and had a friend turn the wheel - no noise from the passenger side strut - a slight click from the drivers side - i got down and watched the spring as it was being turned and...... YEP!!! you can clearly see it jump when it clicks!

So there it is, now - can any body tell me what is involved with replacing this / cost of new bearing / any helpful advice ??

thanks in advance

Dean

2 seperate garages told me it was the steering rack, however from what has been said on here and what i saw when i jacked up the car, it is the top strut bearing causing the problems. :D

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:46 am

go for ebay then...with the proper tools you can do the job.

good luck

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:04 pm

**UPDATE**

Had bearings changed today, still clickcing when steering.... Bearing needed changing anyway as had collapsed, but its still making the noise (see above vid)

Any ideas as Im at a loss.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:08 pm

dean-weston,

The clicking that you are describing... It is not one single click every time when you are on the full lock left and then right? This was a recall you mentioned in the beginning of this thread. If it clicks not on the full lock and more than once each time, then it is something else.

There are many things in the suspension that may click. Check all joints and the bushes before replacing the steering rack. The last time I had clicking from the front, it was after racing against a new GT Cloverleaf for 2200 miles in the Alps a couple of months ago, which turned to be perished bushes (expected in a 2003 car). I would imagine, that if it is the steering rack, then it will still click when the car is not moving. Just ask your friend to keep turning the steering one way and the other, get under the car and touch the joints/subframe. If it is on one side only, then it is a joint. There are a couple of ball joints inside the steering rack, which are easy to replace.

Good luck and please update us on the progress.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:52 am

Sorry for the late reply. Just to update

have had all joints, bushes ect checked over by a friendly mechanic, (vauxhall trained mec) he and 2 of his colleague still suspect steering rack, it clicks when the car is stationary and the wheel is moved from lock to lock, also when the car is moving and turned, also clicks when the car is jacked up on both wheels (although very faint)

obviously replacing the steering rack is going to be a costly job and one id rather avoid untill all other options have been attempted.

Does anyone have any further ideas as to what could be the cause / a solution ??

all help welcome.

thansk again

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 pm

If you don't answer what I asked, I'll not be able to help... Is it one single click every time when you are on the full lock left, then a single click when right, then again when left, etc.? Does your mechanic know about the recall I mentioned? It is a straightforward fix involving some sort of glue and tightening a bolt.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 am

AlexB wrote:If you don't answer what I asked, I'll not be able to help... Is it one single click every time when you are on the full lock left, then a single click when right, then again when left, etc.? Does your mechanic know about the recall I mentioned? It is a straightforward fix involving some sort of glue and tightening a bolt.

Sorry Alex, missed that one, its a making lots of clicking when turning from lock to lock, its not a specific order. its kind of hard to explain but can be clearly heard in the vid i posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBB1co_ ... rofilepage

really starting to annoy me now, if i cant get it sorted without going back to renault, its getting part-exed for something more reliable, like a wheel barrow...... :lol:

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Yep, it's a lot of clicking - something is going to fall off very soon... It sounds like something is continuously slipping or deforming in the process of turning the steering. The sound is the same on both sides, isn't it? Check this, it is important. I would be tempted to check how well the subframe and the steering rack are attached. One needs to get under the car, put a hand around different components while the other person turns the steering. Keep the engine switched off, of course. It can be the steering rack itself... To be honest, I have no idea at the moment.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for the advise Alex, ill wait for this cold weather to pass and get it jacked up. it is the same from both sides yes. i'll report back once i get an idea - thanks again

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 am

Hi Guys, sorry to dig up on old thread, but i thought it might be useful, now you may recall I had this issues with my Megane..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBB1co_C24
Several places confirmed the power steering rack was buggered and my only option was a new rack + fitting.... £300! Well as it turns out several people I’ve come-across have this issue.... that’s a lot of £300s

So I’ll tell you how i fixed it..........
STEP 1
Jack up car @ drivers side and secure > remove wheel (optional, allows more room) > obtain 18mm swan neck ring spanner and 18mm straight spanner

the steering rack is attached to the sub frame with 2 nuts and bolts - the bottom of the bolt is secured with a bracket like this > Image

however you can just get to the top of the bolt with a selection of 18mm spanners - you may need to bend the heat shield a little, with some pain and awkward positions you will be able to get the spanner on the bolt in a way with will allow you to tighten it.... you may only get 1/3 of a turn but make sure its TIGHT

Replace wheel

STEP 2
Jack up car @ passenger side and secure > remove wheel > obtain 18mm socket + ratchet + selection of extension bars
you should be able to see the bolt head in the distance (trace up front the bottom ) apply tools and tighten the sh*t out of it..... as before, you may only get 1/3 of a turn but this is enough....

Replace wheel

STEP 3

start car and turn steering wheel > bask in the glory of your had work and enjoy quiet steering again ..... AND save £300 (which can be spent on repairing something else on your megane)

(this worked for me... might not work for you, but it’s worth a try)

dimitrius
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane II 2005

Re: **FIXED** Steering rack CLICKING - Please Read....

Postby dimitrius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:48 pm

thanks a lot, i face the same issue and i wiil try your solution as soon as i find the spare time.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Re: **FIXED** Steering rack CLICKING - Please Read....

Postby AlexB » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 pm

These are supposed to be torqued to 105Nm, which translates into 60kg of force applied to the end of the spanner. This is the weight of a slim woman or an Irish wolfhound...

Well done, you are a healthy man!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”