What's missing please help!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tamarisk
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: meegane tourer diesel

What's missing please help!

Postby tamarisk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:44 pm

I have an ongoing problem and after taking my car to a local mechanic who ran a diagnostic and came up with 5 error codes. He also thinks that there is a component missing as he found an electric multiplug and rubber hose unconnected to anything. Please follow the link to a photo and please let me know if you can shed any light on the issue. The mechanic also said that he cannot decipher the error codes as Renault haven't released them-is he bullshitting me? Many Thanks https://picasaweb.google.com/simpcoe/Dr ... 8608768850

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Re: What's missing please help!

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:19 pm

I also have a hose that looks like that just hanging around but on the 2.0 engine. I'm not familiar with your engine but the Throttle body unit jobba should have a similar plug on it towards the rear bottom. Which engine is it exactly? 1.5?

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:27 pm

yep, this really looks like a 1.5dci. about that hose i dont know but the plug seems to be from the MAF sensor...

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 am

Yes, sorry it's the 1.5 diesel. The car has been showing the check injection warning for a couple of months but it comes and goes, only seemed to be happening on wet days for some reason. But as of a week ago after driving for 5 minutes, the problem is constant, feels like the engine is missing and progressively gets worse, to the point of pulling away from a standing start and engine virtually dying-but not quite. Would the missing component cause this? I'm sure it's not fallen off recently, wondered if running the car like this has had a progressive influence. The mechanic seemed to think the hose was an "air dump" something or other, to do with the turbo. Would the MAF sensor connect to both the plug and hose? Any advice greatly appreciated.

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Mechanic has given me diagnostic error codes that he couldn't decipher, they are
713, 465, 330, 241, 215.
any body have any clue as to what they stand for?
any help greatly appreciated.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 pm

P0215 Engine Shutoff Solenoid Malfunction
P0241 Turbocharger Boost Sensor B Circuit Low
P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)
P0465 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

This really doesnt make sense to me, the P0215 and P0241 can contribute to poor engine performance but the rest doesnt make sense...

Try cleaning the EGR first. Go here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12790

and select the file "3916A.pdf EGR solenoid valve cleaning procedure". Do the cleaning procedure, its a DIY job.

Post your results

cheers

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 am

Thanks very much for your replies Tomalmix

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Invested in a Haynes manual, which to be honest is a bit lacking in detail, EGR cleaning doesn't seem to be as straight forward as I thought, especially access to the bloody thing and the fact that you seem to have to use a special tool for the job. Apparently there are 2 types of egr set up, the latter models have an easier to access system. What sort of solvent do I use to clean? Will look at over the weekend, but don't expect it will be something i'm able to do. Still none the wiser about the unatttached rubber hose, had the car ticking over the other day and put my finger over the end, neither blowing or sucking and made no difference to the running of the engine-still baffled. Another opinion about the plug is that it is a cover all loom with extra plugs for other models and that it was never attached to anything. Tried to find where the MAF sensor is but again Haynes manual is very vague and mentions 'an' air flow sensor, but not a MAF, certainly everthing electrical in the vicinity of the plug is already connected to something.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 am

Yes, the MAF is the air quantity sensor, lets call it like this. Ive take a picture of my harness and i will post the photo during today. Its orange like yours and im sure its attached somewhere but i cannot precise it right now because ive got my engine on pieces, waitiing for an affordable crankshaft. :?

The EGR cleaning can be made using a good product thats on the market, its called something like "Injection Carbon cleaner", its real good, just for you have an idea, when you put the spray on the carbon it kind of melts it and cleans almost everything just from spraying.

Cheers

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks again tomalamix, I've just been under the bonnet, thought I'd start on the job and see how far I could get. Luckily, I have the later egr set up as mentioned in Haynes, much easier to access than the first one, was just a case of disconnecting the plug, undoing 2 nuts and 1 bolt and slowly jiggling the egr out. It is completely caked up with black sooty oily deposit, so definately in need of a clean. Will get to Halfords asap to get some of that solvent. Only problem I can see is that without an actuator I wont be able to open and close the valve to clean completely, but I suppose any cleaning is better than none. Will let you know how it goes.

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Local Halfords didn't seem to have any solvent worth buying, certainly nothing with the name you suggested. Probably being over cautious but I don't want to use anything that may damage the egr. Woulld 'Gunk' do the job or something like a carb cleaner?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Both products you mention would be fine to use - but nothing dissolves carbon - only the oily deposit. The important thing is to not get fluid in the electronics part. You can chip away at the solid carbon by carefully using a wooden lollipop stick, small screwdriver or similar object. Don't forget to clean the EGR housing as best you can (often a rag stuffed into it).

As a side note: there are three types of EGR set up that I'm aware of - the two in the Haynes and a third which is on my car.

The tube you describe looks for all the world like part of the PCV system or a vacuum line - but you would have poor braking performance if it was. Try letting it "find its natural position" - this might give you a hint on where it is supposed to go. Likewise, you will just have to hunt around for the other end of that connector - it must go somewhere - and it doesn't look like it will reach far, so its range ought to dictate approximately where it should go.

Once you've sorted those issues out, have the faults read, cleared, and re-read.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks davelowe for reply, that's tthe baffling thing with the hose and plug, both have a very limited span of where they could attach and absolutely nothing in the vicinity, hence why the mechanic thought that there was a component missing. As to the EGR, I managed to remove and clean it with a spray carb cleaner, as best I could. Reinstalled and so far with 2 run outs under it's belt car is running very smoothly. If this has solved the problem I'll be flabbergasted, cost me the price of a Haynes manual and £3.50 for the spray solvent and about an 45 minutes of my time(I did have the easier to get at EGR set-up though). Wonder how much Renault would have charged me? Is it necessary to get the error codes cleared?

tamarisk
Passed Theory

Postby tamarisk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Just flicking through the Haynes manual, I've got a strong suspicion that the loose electrical plug should be attached to the turbo pressure sensor. The small photos in Haynes manual look very much like the area the plug is in. Does anyone know if this sounds right? would there be any running issues if disconnected.Will check tomorrow.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

I'll tell you what - tomorrow I'll go and take a look at my engine because it has just struck me that the turbo pressure regulator is in on a peg immediately above the brake fluid reservoir. From your image I can't see it - so it might have been removed. Though, we may have different engines (mines a bit of an odd one).
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”