Brake fluid leaking from hydraulic clutch cable

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

themacclass

Brake fluid leaking from hydraulic clutch cable

Postby themacclass » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi, we have an issue with a Renault Megane 1.5 turbo diesel clutch. There is brake fluid leaking from the clutch cable where ther is a "connecting module" (Renault mechanic quote). Does anyone have any idea what it is actually called and what does it do? It looks like a wheel off a Childs toy tractor!!! Does anyone have a part number? Dazed and confused thanks. Image Image

themacclass

Re: Brake fluid leaking from hydraulic clutch cable

Postby themacclass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 pm

I have this morning found out that this part is a Resonator and is usually found on a scenic and is not on the car plans according to renault. Also, being a main dealer it will take a week to order in as it is on a back order. Well done renault. I would like to thank Fish Brothers of Swindon for being able to get hold of this part for me by Tuesday for a price of £46.95 inc. VAT & Delivery. I was also able to send him an email with pictures of it just to make sure it was the correct part. Thanks very much to Nigel for all your help. If I get stuck again they will be the FIRST people I will contact.

dwoods
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane 1.5DCi

Postby dwoods » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 am

Hi

I have the same leak on my 2005 DCi. You say this part is called a "Resonator" however when I rang my mechanic, he had never heard of this.

What does a "Resonator" do?

Cheers

Dave

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am

This is a overpressure relieve for the clutch fluid...

This unit has a rubber membrane inside that expands when the brake fluid is compressed on the master cylinder under the clutch pedal. It avoids excessive pressure on the gearbox actuator.

The only solution available that i know is to buy a brand new line from the master cylinder to the gearbox, which includes this safety device.

It should be sold separately because it can be easily removed and would torn out the costumers wallet.

if you know any other way to make it work let us know

cheers

Starman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Proton 1.6 Lxi Wira

Postby Starman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 pm

I had the same thing happen. But I didn't find out mine was leaking until I had no clutch! Found a second hand one from a 10 plate car. Came on a pipe. Took it off the pipe, fitted to my car. Bled system (WHICH IS A SH1T TO DO!!), job done! Just make sure that when you fit the new one, make doubly sure that it's located correctly and the clip is fully in place...

Good luck..
:D

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Wow! How could it happen without the brake fluid alert triggered?

Starman wrote:I had the same thing happen. But I didn't find out mine was leaking until I had no clutch! Found a second hand one from a 10 plate car. Came on a pipe. Took it off the pipe, fitted to my car. Bled system (WHICH IS A SH1T TO DO!!), job done! Just make sure that when you fit the new one, make doubly sure that it's located correctly and the clip is fully in place...

Good luck..
:D
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 am

The clutch pedal stays down and will not come up...it will reduce the fluid qty by the leak depends of the size of the damage...

Starman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Proton 1.6 Lxi Wira

Postby Starman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Alex B,
Good question! I THINK (though could be wrong) that somehow the resovoir is split internally because I still had brakes! Good point though... No lights on my dash when it happened!
J.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 am

you will stop have brakes if you keep "pumping" the clutch pedal. If the clutch isnt coming up (because there is a hole on the pressurized line) im sure you notice it and will be not able to use the car as usual. The clutch will get empty and as soon as the oil for the brakes line is needed and there isnt enought you will start to feel the brake pedal going down without producing too much brake power. It will not stop working lick a click

livewire
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane mk1 (99)
mk2 (04)
Citroen xsara (02)

Postby livewire » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 pm

just now replaced mine, so called "Resonator". Clutch pedal went funny first then brake warning fault.
for anyone else doing it, i found you have to remove the filter box to gain easy access to the top join.
removing battery and battery tray (after drilling out the rusted seized bolt for the clamp.)
cost was £47 and yes dealer did not know what it was at first.

divk1989
Currently Drives:: 2007 renault megane 1.5dci

Postby divk1989 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi There , I have exact same problems with clutch and it is the resonator im going to renault to order it tomorrow as i phoned today and should hopefully get it by friday . I would greatly appreciate if some one could help me by showing me a picture of how to bleed the clutch when i fit the resonator .

Thanks

David

millerjohn01
Currently Drives:: Megane Scenic Grand 59

Re:clutch pedal not returning, Brake fluid leaking from hydraulic clutch cable

Postby millerjohn01 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks Great post, same problem with my wifes Megane grand scenic 59 plate. fluid sprays out of the resonator when clutch is pressed and pedal not returning. I will try and source the part tomorrow. Hopefully able to fit it without much trouble although having taken off the battery box and air box before I am not so sure!
I had suspected the return spring until I saw a post about the fluid level causing the non return of the pedal.

Return to “Problems / Questions”