another electrical gremlin...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

adambuckle
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 1.9 DCI 120 Megane Dynamique

another electrical gremlin...

Postby adambuckle » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi all

Another problem on the megane....brilliant.............. A combination of things that havn't happened before or have read about was wondering if anybody had a magic reset button. At once the headlights have come on and stayed on and the autobulb function won't come on/ turn off when the button is pressed. The washer fluid wouldn't spray. The radio after roughly 20 mins made three beeps and then switched itself off completely, this happend with both the radio and the cd player. and the ciggarete lighter socket wouldnt' light my damn ciggarete...or power the iphone or the misses sat nav etc etc.... Pretty stumped as where too look next as had a look at the fuse box.

Mechanicals i can find a sound identify the part that needs to be fixed...electrical im lost at.....

please help

adambuckle
Passed Theory

Re: another electrical gremlin...

Postby adambuckle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:51 pm

hey guys just spent half hour with the 1.9dci motor from hell, when locking the car it wontturn off the radio it also sounds like it is trying too close the windows even though they are already shut?! Am beyond confused and really don't want too send it to the garage .... Ooo n also in a seperate incident my airbag light and service light have both come on....yay have searched this but seems like it is going to be an expensive fix Woooooo :-(

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

airbad/serviced is usually the connector under drivers seat coming loose. i assume you have a 3 door car.
auto - you have to hold in for 3 seconds or so and it'll beep.
radio does turn itself off after 20 mins if only electrics are on (e.g. you're sitting in car waiting for someone) dunno if it beeps though.
you must have blown the fuse to the cig lighter - quite common but i can't remember where the fuse is, you should be able to search it.

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 pm

radio problem and whiper and that stuff...check all the fuses, im not sure but i think the lighter fuse its also part of the radio electrical wiring

cheers

adambuckle
Passed Theory

Postby adambuckle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 am

hi guys tried the connections under the seat gave them a wobble, pushed them back in and nothing.... and yes is a three door.
as for the fuses non blown in the car fuse box by the.... are there any fuses in the engine bay?

The radio turns itself off while the car is running, and doesn't turn itself off when u lock the car, also it also sounds like the window motor for the windows are trying too move the windows up even though they are closed....

cheers all for helping and giving suggestions much appreciated :D

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:26 pm

the fuse for the radio is inside the car, passenger side. the radio uses 2 fuses, one have its symbol on the fuses cover and the other i believe is the cigar lighter fuse.

cheers

adambuckle
Passed Theory

Postby adambuckle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm

hello all, thank you all for your continued suggestions :) now have checked all the fuses within the car, and everything A ok. Are there any relay switches in the car that can be on when it needs to be off, ie the radio not turning itself off when locking the car, yet automatically shutting down after 20 mins even though the car is running? as for the cigar lighter have no clue as too what is up with that as its still not functioning....

adambuckle
Passed Theory

Postby adambuckle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:48 pm

hi guys car nearly all fixed....

I just double checked the fuses this morning and all were ok....started prodding the cigar lighter and found an exposed wire have wrapped this back up pressed on...and it thought yay id fixed it. Took the battery off/on again still nothing had been fixed....went back too look at the fuses and lone behold the radio 1 had blown! replaced and radio and cigar lighter back too working as they should....

however in doing all this my right side window has started too play up......doesn't do the 1 press get a nudge, 1 hold all the way up and down...all it does is nudge....will be searching forums for help lol!!

Also airbag light/ service light combo light still on....have done a cursory check on the plugs underneath seat and all seems to be fine...shall be giving them a more inspecting look after work tonight....

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 pm

for the windows: press the switch until you reach the top, after that keep the button pressed for 10 seconds. do this on every windows. after this all windows will be ok.

for the airbag and service light it can be the wires your seeing under the seats or the rotary switch on the stalks, under the driving wheel. do you ear a plastic scratching while turning the wheel?

adambuckle
Passed Theory

Postby adambuckle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Thank you searched and found that 1, however it feels like the window is still trying too press the window up even when it has closed.... Makes a worrying noise. In the door frame. Have checked the clips under the seats pushed them in wiggled and light is still on.... Going too try leaving the battery off for a while tm see if anything resets... And yes there is a slight grinding noise on both ends n the full lock of the steering wheel, however when the car is off steering lock still engages..... Bloody car!!!

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:23 pm

it can be the rotary switch under the driving wheel, it breaks after some time. that can light up the service and airbag light. the only way to know for sure is to open the stalk module or connect the car via obd and scan for errors, if the problem is that stalk module it will report it.

cheers

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:23 am

still trying too press the window up even when it has closed

Mine did this and then eventually the window would only go up so far. It sounded stuck. Yay... So off with the door card to have the a look at the windows motor unit. Its OK. I then realised when I took the assembly for the cable off that it had slipped under some extreme tension and coiled around part of winding assembly rather than the notched drum it normally coils around. This meant the cable had become shorter and thus wouldn't go up. The reverse can be true, it can end up with too much cable going the other way and not come all the way down. Its worth disassembling as all the times I thought my window regulators had failed its just been a case of readjusting and cleaning. This time its a couple new cables though.

Return to “Problems / Questions”