Help flat battery and emer key is just turning in the lock

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jeffthomas81

Help flat battery and emer key is just turning in the lock

Postby Jeffthomas81 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:35 pm

My 53 plate has a flat battery and emergency key is just turning in the lock how can I open the bonnet from outside the car

chewbacker
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: megane 19 dci

Re: Help flat battery and emer key is just turning in the lo

Postby chewbacker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:56 pm

remove the uppe bumper vents.pull vents up and outwards and they should come out no problem.you will then need to shine a torch up and try to get at the bottem of the lock using a long screw driver and lever the retaining rod sideways to pop the bonnet.
not a easy job and may take a long time . failing that it's been said that you can remove the side indicator and power the car enough to unlock it from there but sounds dodgy to me but might be worth a shot. please keep us updated

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:07 pm

Hello Jeff. Bin there, dun that! You really must sort the problem with the emergency door lock, it could save you a lot of aggro in future. Your passenger door lock has been removed at some time in the past and whoever did it failed to check that it worked. Fitting the lock barrel is a fiddly little job. See this link.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12771#p79581
It is so easy to insert the lock and assume the end has engaged in the slot.
Cheers, Mike

Jeffthomas81

Postby Jeffthomas81 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Many thanks. I let you know how I get one just one more thing , I take it that it is possible to removed the key barrel from outside the car.

chewbacker
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: megane 19 dci

Postby chewbacker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:14 pm

no. to remove door lock door must be open.
a little black grommit needs to be removed and then a torx screw driver is used to remove the lock. pointless info when your locked out your car.
did you dead lock your car. if not gently bend out the top corner of the front door (about 3 inch's) and put a wedge in it. then use a long rod to pull door handle.

2nd option. jack up car and remove engine tray. connect jump lead to main starter motor cable and connect to another vehicle. then earth on engine block.

the main starter cable won't make the starter spin as it's always live any way. the thin switch cable is what makes it spin.

Return to “Problems / Questions”