car wont start

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

srs1
Currently Drives:: vauxhall nova track car
1.9 dci 5dr

car wont start

Postby srs1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:13 am

i have got a 52 plate 1.9 dci. i have had nothing but problems since i bought it last year.

car was in a garage for 6 months and in the end, they just gave me it back and said they couldn't fix it.
so any thoughts on what to do would really help.
i personally think there are 2 options left.

here we go.

bought the car and the key was broken, bought a new one from renault and had it coded.
car still wouldn't start
took the car to the said garage and had the fuse box replaced as it had water in it.
was told that the uch controller had been spiked with a 12v surge that killed a part that overides the immob. so that was overided and not replaced.

a month of happy driving and i was really pleased with the car (hence me not wanting to give up) and it died again.
this time was because i put a new fuse box cover on it.

car went back tot he garage (electrics aint my specialty)
water in fuse box again!
then the uch has a issue again, so got chip gods to clone mine to a 2nd hand one.
this put power to all the bits but garage said the voltage to the steering lock wasn't right and he thinks the control is broken. replaced the silver lock bit and still no joy. key was also double checked that it was coded to ecu/uch.
next he said the plug going into the fuse box might has corroded with water in the fuse box, so i found a megane in a scrappy and cut off as much cable and soldered that onto the car. still no luck.

car prior to going into the garage was this, dash would light up but would not start. no faults coming up on the dash just wouldn't attempt to start.

my thoughts are:-

1. replace the whole loom from engine bay-fuse box to behind all the dash. been looking around and they aint the easiest of things to get hold of. plus would it be worth the hassle? (car needs to be done by sept as the other car runs out of test by then)

2. scrap it, well strip it. seen the engines go for £500 plus gearbox etc. i would prob just about cover what i've paid for the car.

thoughts on options would be gratefully appreciated.

car was bought for a family car (5* ncap did it for me with new baby) and as a tow car for my track car. ended up with a pug 406 which has issue's also. lol

chewbacker
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: megane 19 dci

Re: car wont start

Postby chewbacker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:08 pm

have you the keycard megane 2 or standard key megane 1.
check what model ecu you have fitted shoould either be a bosch edc15 or edc16c3. these ecus are common to fail on the starting side. they don't even log a fault code. try connecting a basic code reader (20 quid) this connects directly to the engine ecu using k-line protocal and not canbus and does not need the uch so with the ignition on if your code reader can't connect it points to a ecu that is not powering up. these ecu's can be fixed for about 140 notes. please keep this post upto date.

srs1
Currently Drives:: vauxhall nova track car
1.9 dci 5dr

Re: car wont start

Postby srs1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 am

thanks for info. i will be having a good look at the car at the end of the month. i work nights and find time limited to working on it. currently building a track car at the same time. so time is always short.

Return to “Problems / Questions”