Been sat for too long. Time to get it back on the road. Help

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jo3yb777
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 54-Reg Renault Megane 1.6 Dynamique Auto Silver
(SORN'd)

Been sat for too long. Time to get it back on the road. Help

Postby jo3yb777 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Been a while since I last posted on here so let's get cracking.

I have a '04 Megane in my driveway, done less than 3 miles in the last 3 years, been through about 5 tanks of fuel as we run it regularly but don't move it.

So far this is what I think it needs:

- Automatic gearbox (displaying 'Gearbox fault', requires lots of throttle to actually move)
- Windscreen (has an 18 inch crack along the top. Its the automatic lights type, not the purple looking one)
- Dephaser unit (grinding noise on cold start is dephaser unit right?)
- Spark plugs (not sure about this, but it sounds like its misfiring)
- Indicator lamp (blown)
- Sidelights (don't work anymore, could be a fuse?)
- Front left foglamp (smashed)
- Exhaust (not blowing, but shakes when the car idles, don't know if it's related to the misfire)
- Brakes (been sat for 3 years outside, discs are looking a little sad now)
- Keyless entry not working properly (could be a sensor, long beep after locking, locking buttons on driver's side don't work unless key is held in the air)
- Radio code (lost that)
- Full service (no explanation needed)
- Tyres (are they still roadworthy as they've been sat for three years?)
- Keycard (i think one of them is lost)
- Ultrasonic sensor above parcel shelf (dad knocked it off and lost it)
- Aircon (probably wants a recharge)
- Engine, bonnet and exhaust all shake when idling (though this can't be felt from the interior)
- Doesn't hold revs properly (could be a sensor or throttle body? e.g. holding at 2500rpm for 10 seconds will then jump to 3500rpm randomly)

I think that's about it for now. It started with the gearbox in 2008, hence why it was parked up and has developed more problems due to neglect.

The car is a 1.6 VVT Dynamique in pearlescent blue-ish silver (anyone know the name for this colour). Automatic gearbox. 68,000 miles.

Everything else on the car such as the panoramic roof, mirrors, windows, steering, brakes (although they might be seized), engine still runs, all lights except ones listed above work. Paintwork is pretty flawless and shiny thanks to my weekly washing and quarterly waxing, wheels flawless, interior is perfect, again thanks to me. So it's all mechanical really.

I'm going to try and take it off my Dad's hands soon as it was his daily runner until it broke but there's no point in having it sitting here unused and I've become quite attached to it as I loved the Megane from day 1 :roll:

Just need an idea of the quickest and cheapest way to get it fixed, don't really want to take it to Renault as I'm a student and I don't have that kind of money, but if needs must, I guess I'll have no choice.

I know we could scrap it, but I'd rather blow money on it just to see her running properly again.

Any advice is welcome guys and sorry for the essay above.
2004 Megane 5-door 1.6 Dynamique

jo3yb777
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 54-Reg Renault Megane 1.6 Dynamique Auto Silver
(SORN'd)

Re: Been sat for too long. Time to get it back on the road.

Postby jo3yb777 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:56 am

Anybody?
2004 Megane 5-door 1.6 Dynamique

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Been sat for too long. Time to get it back on the road.

Postby morganjake1544 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi, i'm no mechanic (I used to sell them , not fix them thank God), but for what it's worth here are my observations.

1. Gearbox. Start with a change of oil and filter.
2. Windscreen. If the car has no MOT then you'll have to get a new one unfortunately. If the car does have an MOT you could wait until you get the car back on the road and then at a later date claim it on the insurance and just pay your excess. Not strictly legal but a lot cheaper.
3. Misfire is probably due to coils rather than spark plugs although they may also need cleaning/replacing.
4. The exhaust rattle could be the heat shield which is flimsy aluminium foil which easily gets bent. Mine bent after going through a deep puddle and rattled like hell 'til I bent it back.
5. Missing radio code. Google Radio code for Renault and you'll find it.
6. Tyres. Has the car ever moved in the three years? If the car hasn't moved check for cracking in the sidewall.
7. Alarm sensor missing in rear. This is likely cause of the long beep when locking as the alarm is trying to set - minus one sensor.
8. Engine shake. Could just be down to the misfire. Alternatively an engine mount may have gone which isn't as difficult or as expensive as it sounds.
9. The colour code for the car is on the information sticker at the bottom of the offside door pillar. It sounds like you're describing a colour called Platinum also known as Gris Boreal in which case the code is 632.
10. Brake discs. Just because they look a bit tired doesn't mean they aren't serviceable. Any surface rust can be cleaned off with a wire brush but if they're deeply scored or warped then it's new discs.

Sorry I can't be more help but I hope it's enough to make a start.

Best of luck.

:cool:
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Problems / Questions”