1.9 dci not starting

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chewbacker
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: megane 19 dci

1.9 dci not starting

Postby chewbacker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 pm

need help
my megane is getting worse every day. when keycard in and pedals pressed dash lights up then just beeps a few times and nothing else. engine does not even try to start. checked all wiring in engine bay and removed and checked fuse board next to battery but all seems to be ok. i've also noticed sometimes when trying to start the car the doors try to unlock but not all the time.
to make matters more tricky. car will always start first thing in the morning and when left for a long time to sit.
any help would be great.
my steering lock also works properly

dannyt713
Currently Drives:: 2003 renault megane 1.9D 120

Re: 1.9 dci not starting

Postby dannyt713 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm

hi mate have you checked the connectors on the loom going to the fuse box the pins could be corroded or loose. check the bulk head below the windscreen to see if there is any water sitting there. Before ine completly died it started playing up ocassionaly then was fine for a while. also hae you removed the actual fuse box next to the battery and opened it up it only takes a small amount of water or condensation to make it faulty.

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 pm

yer had that all apart at the weekend. even open the fuse box and it was completely dry and clean inside. sprayed all the plugs and pins with electrical cleaner. they all looked fine anyway. car tarted fine today but tomorrow it will more then likely be back to its old self. i;m in the motor trade and phoned our renault dealer and he advised to check tdc sensor. can't see how that would cause this problem as when it does decide to start it run fine. also told that warm keycard readers cause problem to. thinking this could be the steering lock module

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:36 am

the tdc sensor failure only applies if the car at least try to start, what youre saying is that your engine doesnt even turn so the problem is not the TDC. when it turns does it fire up? if the answer is yes the problem is not the TDC sensor. Try a new battery or connect it to an other car and try to start it, maybe the problem is just the battery. how old is it?

cheers

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 pm

hi tomalamix
when the car finally turns over it starts great. just replaced the engine bay fusebox but still the same problem.
when the car fails to turn over i tried to over ride the starter circuit and got the starter spinning but car would not fire which makes me think the car locks the injection system.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 pm

have you ever scanned the car with a computerized system? If the starter is ok when you by pass everything the problem must be somewhere before the starter. you've said you have changed the fuse box, are you talking about a fuse box with a very difficult access in the engine bay, behind the battery and everything? does the dash indicates some abnormal failure message or just lights up normally without any warnings? sorry for so many questions but i suppose its better to ask for information as many as possible :)

cheers

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

the story update.
checked as much wiring as possible, switched engine bay fuse board with one from another car but still the same problem.
if i put a brick on the brake pedal and press the start buton the engine does not crank and the engine fan comes on. at this point if i go the the ecu behind the battery and disconnect the top or middle connection and push if back in and out several times it makes the fuseboard click and the engine fires up with me fiddling the connections and my brick pretending to be my foot. the car seems to accept this for a few minutes after i've pressed the star button.

also noticed that when it won't crank the led in between the dials stays on red ( no flashing) is this caused by a canbus wiring fault from main uch under dash to fuse box or ecu.
any help would be great cheers.
may be of help but megane 1.9 dci f9q 800 ecu pin data appears to be the same as the scenic 1.9 dci f9q 803
this may help as autodata provides it for the 803 but not the 800

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:48 pm

update
swopped back to my proper fuse board and checked wiring and gave it all a wiggle around again. car was fine for about an hour starting first time at least 5 times when it would have normaly not have. left it sitting for about an hour and when i went back to it it would not crank again. i've noticed when it does not crank the engine temp gauge does not move but everything else works. wonder what the constant immo light on means.
checked resistence between canbus wires and that checks out at 60k.
refuseal to crank seems to get worse when engine is still warm

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:30 pm

connected to can clip today. all faults erased and system checks carried out. no problems found.
on switching vehicle off and awaiting a few minutes the car would not start. canclip connected to usc,power steering, abs and all ecu's except injection computer. all feeds checked again and present. fault appears to be an internal ecu fault. ecu in my car is a bosch edc16c3 which according to a company called
TAMAR ELECTRONICS this is a common problem and is often heat related. sending my ecu away to them to get fixed and a week or so as need car next week and starts when ecu is cold so still usable. been quoted 130+vat and 7 quid postage with a 24hour turn around time. will keep posted as to the outcome, cheers for the help

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm

this info could help other user if the fault is solved

good luck

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:16 pm

thats my ecu been repaired and just awaiting it arrival. problem was the chip which contains the vehicle software had started to break down and needed to be replaced.
they scanned my software from my old chip and put it into the new chip so it won't need recoded and the security code will still match the keycard and uch so should be no problems.
the second problem was some burnt printed board which need bridged with wires. this was put down to a jump start at some point in the cars history or welding to the car.
look forward to my car starting when i want and not when it wants.
i'l keep you upto date when it's all back together.

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 pm

car starting first time all the time.
cheers for all the input

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 am

thnaks for the input...glad you make it

leave here the price (if you dont have any problem with that...) and the repair shop you've used to be used for reference by other users that may need it

cheers

chewbacker
Pass Plus

Postby chewbacker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:39 am

i used tamar electronics
there based in devon but do a 24 hour turn around on posted items.
mine cost 170 quid and thats including posting it back to you.
they have a website but my ecu was not in the renault section it was in the pug and ford section and they list common failings for each car
BOSCH EDC16C3 is the 1.9 dci ecu model

Return to “Problems / Questions”