Big problems!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

F.Scarlet
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.4 Authentique

Big problems!!

Postby F.Scarlet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:59 am

Ive got a 2006 plate 1.4 Megane (authentique) & have had very little problems with it up until now.

2 weeks ago it passed its MOT without any issues, the only advisory was that the McPhearson strut had movement in it.

Anyway I pulled out of a junction yesterday & thought it felt a but gutless from 2000 rpm onwards but was fine when it got to 3000 (I also noticed my tickover rpm had dropped from around 850rpm to 500rpm). Then a light began to flash on the dash - it was the 'Toxic Fume Indicator' light, I tried slowing down as suggested in the book but it was still flashing whenever I put my foot on the pedal.

My missus drove the car last night & said it wouldnt get over 30mph & was very jumpy....

Spoke to a guy in work who thinks it could be an iginition coil or the EGR valve may be blocked.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Cheers

Surfhunny
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Cabriolet

Re: Big problems!!

Postby Surfhunny » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:53 pm

I had the same problem last year, toxic Fumes light came on and car just about spluttered home. I had all 4 coils changed, no probs since. Hopefully that's all it is with yours!

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: Big problems!!

Postby tomalamix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 am

The problem is almost for sure an ignition coil...i suggest to search for witch one is faulty and change it. Change the all set of spark plugs also to keep them "aligned". This should do the trick.

You can find the faulty coil by taking out the spark plug cable one at a time and putting it back again. when you take out one that doesnt affect the "lumpy" mode on your engine youve found the faulty coil. easy job and fairly cheap.

the suspension issue is not a Megane problem, every car now and then have to change that kind of supports, its normal wear.

cheers

Return to “Problems / Questions”