Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Liggy
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Black 2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege

Re: Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Postby Liggy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Dudes, I have an 04 Megane CC Privilege 1.9 DCI. If that Toxic fumes light was a person, I'd slap the face clean off it! Was driving home from the hospital this morning, and I got the stupid light on, the 'Check Injection' message, and it was sluggish. Wouldn't pick up speed when I put the foot down. I've had the turbo replaced on that car, the fuel injectors, I've changed the glow plugs myself......and still. Check feckin' Injection! I love the car to bits, and I really would love to keep it, but I can't afford to maintain this car. Any of you guys have any further advice for me?

On another note......I've a question for Gillykid. What do you think of the Volvo S40? I'd love to change to one of those.
2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege 1.9DCI.

lacrabat
Currently Drives:: Megane CC

Postby lacrabat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Seems like I'm in the same club. I've got a 54 plate CC with a 1.9 Dci engine. The other day the check injection light came on, then a trip or two later the toxic fume light came on, I tried cleaning the EGR valve only to find it doesn't look anything like the ones pictured. :shock: The engine runs OK from cold but goes a bit lumpy on tick over after a few minutes, once warmed up properly it seems OK.
Any hints, tips or tricks to help solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add, my first post and I forgot to say a hello. How rude of me, sorry.

Hello.......

glocky1
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5 dci

Postby glocky1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Just gone through the same , but came out the other side in a week of driving my car hard up and down the motorway keeping my revs high at between 3 to 4 thousand and speeds of 70 and above so stay in the third lane for at least 20 mins and DO NOT let the revs fall lower than 3 thousand if you can , as i found out after a bit of research that the particulate filter is the cause and will only regenerate at a high temp of 600 celseus. I have a 1.5 dci megane II 54 plate owned for two months great little car bought to save money on fuel ,driving at low revs around 2 thousand gives me around 60 miles an hour but it only take's me 15 mins to get to work and this is the problem my exaust does not reach the high temps , so in the two months the particulate filter blocked .

The toxic fumes warning light is not on any more ,but it was a bit of a scare as the car felt like it was choking for the hole week, on the last day before the light went out i thought i was going to have to book it in somewhere thinking i had failed , had to go out an hour later the light was off and the car drove great again what a relief.

hope this helps

i do not know if this will work for petrol engines

nickburt

Postby nickburt » Sun May 08, 2011 9:32 am

Hi floks, great forum you have here.

I have a 55 plate 1.6 sports tourer.
Toxic fume light is on, solid, not flashing and the red service light is on.

Having read a fair bit about these lights on here, I'm hoping it's as simple as one of the coil packs failing. The car doesn't really misfire or seem down on power.
Or is it likely a CAT or exhaust sensor issue?

Hope it's not going to get expensive !!!

siobhanb

Postby siobhanb » Mon May 23, 2011 7:27 pm

:D Thanks to this forum!!! I found it by way of a google search and have probably saved myself from being ripped off big time. Toxic Fume warning light started to flash on the way home and noticed the engine shuddering at low speeds or when idling at lights. Really thought there was something serious wrong as I haven't a clue about these things. Rang my dealership straight away and booked it in for diagnostics. They said the diagnostics would cost €60. Then found this site and discovered that it was probably a coil problem and the AA would fix it. Rang the AA straight away. They came around within the hour. Friendly young man fitted a new coil and charged me €60 - job done! Dread to think what this would have cost me at the dealership. Parts + Labour + VAT = :shock: Thanks again!!

nickburt

Postby nickburt » Mon May 23, 2011 9:29 pm

nickburt wrote:Hi floks, great forum you have here.

I have a 55 plate 1.6 sports tourer.
Toxic fume light is on, solid, not flashing and the red service light is on.

Having read a fair bit about these lights on here, I'm hoping it's as simple as one of the coil packs failing. The car doesn't really misfire or seem down on power.
Or is it likely a CAT or exhaust sensor issue?

Hope it's not going to get expensive !!!

Changed the 4 coil packs yesterday - still got the Toxic Fume and red service lights on - now I suspect the CAT ??

galwayspur
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 2003 Dynamique.

Postby galwayspur » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:04 am

Hi All,
same problem as descirbed within this thread. I bought a new coil pack and this evening will attempt to fit them myself. There's no plastic engine cover on my 1.4 2003 Megane Hatch - so am I right in saying that the four round capped "plugs" for want of a better description - is the housing for the coils/plugs.

Main question is, when I remove the cap for each is the 10mm nut that I then need to unscrew a normal shaped one or is a Torx connection?

Thanks

abkt
Currently Drives:: Megane 2006 1.6 16V

Postby abkt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:10 pm

dazzlew
Currently Drives:: Megane dci 120

Postby dazzlew » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:59 am

Hi have a 1.9dci - and have recently had the timing belt changed together with the water pump (as the pump was leaking). After the parts were fitted the car was slightly hesitant with starting then a day later it just wouldn't start at all. The garage said the priming pump was damaged and needed replacing - he had the car for a few days and in the end had to bodge the refit of tubes because not all of them had arrived from the manufacturer.
Now i'm getting the Toxic Light lit together with the Service Light - the onboard computer hasn't thrown up an additional messages and its running fine - but i think the mpg is down a bit. Should i take it back in immediately or can i leave it until after Xmas as i will only be making short journeys to the shops and back?

ginge1280
Currently Drives:: 52 plate megane 1.6 sport dynamique

Postby ginge1280 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 pm

My light is on with the service light but not flashing, the car seems sluggish, i was told to replace the coils so i did, the lights are still on and cars still sluggish, any suggestions on what could be the problem, thanks

ishybishy
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 Estate (Automatic) 2004

Postby ishybishy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Hello, I was looking up this issue and saw the forum. Ive just had my car back from the garage and hope the following may help.

I have a 2004 Megane Est. Automatic 1.6 VVTi (just rolls of the tongue).

In February the light cam on and stayed on. The car kept stalling at junctions etc. I then called RAC and they stated the computer showed a fault with the cam shaft sensor. They kindly put a new one on for £50 and sent me on my way. It no longer stalled but after 5 miles, on pops the light again. I then take it to my local garage who tell me, they cant find a fault and that it was probably a loose wire somewhere tripping it out. They say if there is no noticeable change in power etc, just ignore it till you get the time to pull the car apart and look for said wire!! Im no mechanic, so took their advice stupidly.
Last week Im driving the ten miles home from work and cant seem to get the car over 55mph. It then (thankfully right outside my house) develops a wobble in all gears and whilst idling. Out come RAC again who refer me to a different garage where the mechanic used to work with Renault. He was able to tell me the issue without even looking at the car and stated it was a very common fault.
He stated that the phaser pulley started failing in February. This links to the ECU by the cam shaft sensor. Hence the warning light. The sensor was in fact fine and actually doing its job. The bad news. To replace the phaser pulley also meant redoing the cam belt etc. Just had the car back from the garage and my wallet is £532 lighter!!!

Just got in the car and before pulling away, the light has popped back on!!! lol. Once Id stopped screaming into a pillow, I rang the garage and calmly explained my situation. They have stated that they may of used the wrong code to reclear the computer so I am taking it back tomorrow. They assure me that the phaser pulley was the cause of my problems. Fingers crossed.

I hope the above helps and I shall update tomorrow.

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Had this warning on my 2004 1.9 DCI.

OBDII reader gave 487 - EGR open circuit error.

Next morning the warning cleared on it's own but I took the valve out and cleaned it anyway - light and code haven't returned since.... famous last words!

Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Magane Coupe

Postby 16547 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 am

I have charge all coils and plugs Obe of the plugs was covered in oil toxic and service light still on need some help on what to do next please

Return to “Problems / Questions”