Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Gillykid
Just Passed

Hmmmmmmm

Postby Gillykid » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:34 pm

Well, the saga goes on!

Renault have just called after having my car all day, saying the system in the car is reporting a misfire in chamber 4. So far so good....

However having run tests on everything from pistons to coils they can't find a problem with any component. However they belive the problem may lie with the connection to the sensor itself....

Their suggestion: take the car away and see if it happens again :shock:

To be fair, if it doesn't I am fine with that, but if it does.... :evil:

I will pick the car up in an hour and let you know how I get on.
Current: Volvo S40 S Sport 2.0D :)
Previous: Renault Megane II Coupe Carbriolet 2.0 T Privledge

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:28 pm

i'm sure webcode has stated checking the sensor is part of the "routine" when there's a misfire report after coils etc...

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:58 pm

Oh gawd another Cloud Cuckoo Land dealer.
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

Gillykid
Just Passed

Re: Hmmmmmmm

Postby Gillykid » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:43 am

Gillykid wrote:Well, the saga goes on!

...However having run tests on everything from pistons to coils they can't find a problem with any component. However they belive the problem may lie with the connection to the sensor itself....

I will pick the car up in an hour and let you know how I get on.

Well after several weeks of smooth running - guess what? Its on again!

Happened after a lot of long journeys followed by sitting in traffic this morning where it started flashing. :evil:

Surely this isn't a faulty sensor again? Guess I am back to where I started :cry

gtaustin

Flashing toxic emmissions light but not the coils

Postby gtaustin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:03 pm

GillyKid

I have the same problem. Camden Northampton assumed it was a coil and changed a coil. The same day of picking it up the light started flashing. Took the car to Richard Sanders who interpreted the fault code from Renault as a faulty fuel or air injector (cant remember exact details). The parts have been ordered and my car goes in on March 2nd. Will let you know how it goes.

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Good luck with it gtaustin, hope it solves the problem.

Like you, I am more annoyed with the false diagnosis than anything. I can accept that cars have problems and things go wrong (I used to own a lot of fords!).

However, having the engineer say "I strongly recommend you dont drive it" after driving it for over a month with the problem made me a little angry! After all, the only reason I was still driving it was due to the incorrect assessment in the first place.

They still have the car and hopefully I will hear more this week - i will keep you informed.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:24 pm

Misdiagnosis - the curse of the Renault network. The good thing is that if we had the same thing from our doctors, we wouldn't need to worry about our cars and their problems - just our funeral costs :roll: !
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:02 am

Well, the car is back (nice and sparkling!) and (touch wood) the light hasn't come back on, but its early days yet!

Hopefully this is the last of it but I will keep you informed.... 8)

sandy-p

Toxic Fumes Warning Light - AGAIN!!

Postby sandy-p » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:20 pm

Had my Megane (53 reg) for approx 8 weeks. Broke down 4 weeks ago and had to have 2 of the coils replaced. Then broke down again last week with the same thing. The other 2 coils have now been replaced.

When the car is idling I can feel it juddering slightly and also when driving I keep getting wafts of a sulphur rotten egg smell. This only lasts for a couple of seconds then the smell goes away.

Has anyone had similar problems after the coils have been replaced.

Getting really nervous that the warning light is going to come on again!!

Help!!!! :cry:

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:58 am

Well, after having the entire injector replaced, guess what? Thats right - warning light is back on!

A call to renault and they say - it may still be in the memory and it needs clearing (sounds like a blag to me, webcode is there any truth to this) - in the mean time phone the AA!

Great...... :cry:

Gillykid
Just Passed

Re: Toxic Fumes Warning Light - AGAIN!!

Postby Gillykid » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:00 am

sandy-p wrote:Had my Megane (53 reg) for approx 8 weeks. Broke down 4 weeks ago and had to have 2 of the coils replaced. Then broke down again last week with the same thing. The other 2 coils have now been replaced.

When the car is idling I can feel it juddering slightly and also when driving I keep getting wafts of a sulphur rotten egg smell. This only lasts for a couple of seconds then the smell goes away.

Has anyone had similar problems after the coils have been replaced.

Getting really nervous that the warning light is going to come on again!!

Help!!!! :cry:

Personally I would take that straight back to Renault - they warn me than juddering with this kind of problem is a big no no

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:29 pm

Gillykid wrote:Well, after having the entire injector replaced, guess what? Thats right - warning light is back on!

A call to renault and they say - it may still be in the memory and it needs clearing (sounds like a blag to me, webcode is there any truth to this) - in the mean time phone the AA!

Great...... :cry:

Right - 4 brand new injectors later (seriously) - i have my car back and it is noticeably smoother, and so far no sign of the light.... watch this space! 8)

ktlk
Passed Theory

Postby ktlk » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:58 pm

Tha same light appeared to me...
The problem....Error with air temperature sensor...It shows -40
I'm the Lizzard King
I can do anything

dementedman

Postby dementedman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi there I had this problem not that long ago and it should be covered by your warranty. If you call out the AA then you can avoid a trip to the service department as they can fix it at your home and bill Renault. I am think it was one of the coils that went, which means that you will have a miss fire. Try to get this sort quickly as you could be putting un-burnt fuel into your cat and that isn't covered by your warranty. Sounds like I am a mechanic, I am not, I am along suffering owner of a Megane, so much so that I am on first name terms with the service department.

AndyL

that flashing light

Postby AndyL » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 pm

First post on this forum, warning, it's a bit of a rant!!!

My 2.0t sporthatch has been in the local dealer at least six times now for this problem. So far they have replaced coils, injectors (had to order the parts so that was another visit), replaced part of the fuel line (they didn't tell me i had to empty the tank, so that was anoher few hours wasted waiting for them to do work on the car then being told they couldn't as there was petrol in it!) given it back without disclosing what work was done, and on my last visit, I was told I was using the wrong type of fuel and running it nearly empty. I told them I that i leave it in to them nearly empty as I was told to earlier, they implied this was a possible cause of the problem!

Checking the manual and the fuel filler flap, they said 95 or 98 ron, unleaded or super unleaded respectively. I've been running 95 ron, but I was told by the dealer I had to use super! So I filled it with super, and guess what, the problem persists.

I have come to the conclusion that they have no idea what the problem is, the diagnostics say there is "no fuel"?!

So i have a car that has very variable MPG, even over the same route at the same speed, has a noticeable vibration at idle, the emissions warning light comes on (usually when stopped at lights but not always) and I'm spending as much time at the dealership as i do at work.

Dont think I'll be getting another renault anytime soon, unfortunately this is a company car and I'll have it for another two years.

Anyone had an accurate diagnosis of the problem that fixed the fault?

Thanks,

Andy

P.S.sorry about the mini novel there

:evil: :evil:

Return to “Problems / Questions”