Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Majikthise
Currently Drives:: 2003 (53) Megane 1.6 16v Expression 5 door.

Re: Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Postby Majikthise » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for that! The garage have reset my warning lights and said that they may, or may not, come back on. If not, then happy days but if they do then a replacement sensor is needed. Thanks for your help.
"Madam, I may be drunk but in the morning you shall still be ugly" - Winston Churchill.

hurst
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane

Postby hurst » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Same thing happened to my 53 1.6 today. Took it for a diagnostic scan and the P0340 error code popped up, Camshaft position sensor. Is it an easy enough job to replace them or am I better taking it in to garage?

Majikthise
Currently Drives:: 2003 (53) Megane 1.6 16v Expression 5 door.

Postby Majikthise » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 pm

My garage tell me that the part is about £40 and it takes less than a minute to remove the old one and pop the new one in.

My car's been fine since the garage cancelled the service lights - there was a slight noise on acceleration when cold but that seems to have cleared now.
"Madam, I may be drunk but in the morning you shall still be ugly" - Winston Churchill.

jmuirhea
Currently Drives:: coupe cabriolet 1.6 vvt

Postby jmuirhea » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:50 am

my 05 cc has also developed the P0340 failure and is now stalling at every junction. this comes on top of the battery totally dying on me last week , greenflag told me it was the battery but kwikfit tested it and said it was ok , left it another day and flat as a pancake again , alarm going off , central locking on and off at 1Hz , not a chance of it starting. bit the bullet and bought new battery but also bought jump leads as have no doubt it will die again , have also had the airbag light intermittently going on and off!!
it ran for a week or so with the engine fault light on(P0340) and showed little or no problem but now as i say its stalling all the time , if like mentioned before on the forum its coils or a sensor will my local garage be able to do it rather than renault.
Or having had my dephaser pulley already changed twice by renault do i have any come back on them as this does seem related??
it is fair to say it will be japanese all the way for me from now on.... although maybe not Toyota ;0)

burnie1982
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 16v VVT Dynamique

Postby burnie1982 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi All.

My toxic fumes warning light appeared on my 1.6 vvt last night on a 2 mile drive home. The light is solid and accompanied by the service light. This happened last year and RAC replaced 2 coils for me. I called RAC out today expecting a similar scenario but was told their computer picked up errors: camshaft dephaser circuit and camshaft sensor.

The car only passed its mot the day before with flying colours. I'm gutted as these sound expensive??

Can anyone shed light as to whether i'm looking at a yet another large renault bill?

jmuirhea

Postby jmuirhea » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 am

just an update , took my car to a local garage , who had to jumpstart it as the "brand new battery" was dead again , he said he was getting other codes as opposed to the P0340 stated before so has changed the camshaft sensor , left it for a few days checking the battery every morning and no significant drop in the voltage( it had been 7.5V the day it was flat)and at least one day was heavy overnight frost.
so far car is now driving ok but am just waiting on a flat battery again as i cant see how one fault relates to the other.
will let you know how it goes.
total cost so far £60 for a battery i didnt need from kwikfit ( haggled from £70) £10 for jumpleads that im sure i will need again and £110 for cam sensor change which seems to have cured the misfiring but may or may not have cured the battery drain.
Any suggestions welcome.

jmuirhea

Postby jmuirhea » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 am

sorry forgot to mention my car now beeps once when unlocking and twice when locking , only started doing this with all the battery draining hassle , anybody had this before and know why its doing it?

burnie1982
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 16v VVT Dynamique

Postby burnie1982 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi all,

What began with the toxic fume light on has resulted in the following: A new camshaft sensor - £110
A new pair of coils - £80

Following these parts being changed the car run smoothly for a total of one day before refusing to start from cold without me sending the revs through the roof and sustaining it for several seconds. When driving it, there felt like there was engine drag going on. No lights displaying on the dash (for a change). The problem persisted for a further two days so I took it to an independent garage who changed the battery - £50.

The car drove well for a further two days, this morning - it wouldn't start from cold without me running through the same routine as before.

Please, please, please can someone throw a suggestion into the mix as to what it may be this time. I'm at my wits end :banghead

Thanks.

chezpink21
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 2006 06

Postby chezpink21 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi
Ive got a 2006 1.6 CC and the toxic light and service light came on about a week ago (solid light). I took it to the garage for its MOT and they also serviced it. It got new front brake pads, air filter and plugs. In January it got a new fuel pump. When I picked it up after the service and MOT the light had gone but after a 2mile trip it came back on. I took it back to the garage (independant) and they hooked it up to a computer and it came up with fuel evaporation problem. He got the light to turn off but it came back on again. Rang them back and they dont know what to do. Its out of warranty as its 4yrs old, any advice on what I should do (other than take it tothe Renault dealer)???
Thanks
Cheryl

Babararacucudada
Currently Drives:: Megane dynamique

Postby Babararacucudada » Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 pm

burnie1982 wrote:Hi all,

What began with the toxic fume light on has resulted in the following: A new camshaft sensor - £110
A new pair of coils - £80

Following these parts being changed the car run smoothly for a total of one day before refusing to start from cold without me sending the revs through the roof and sustaining it for several seconds. When driving it, there felt like there was engine drag going on. No lights displaying on the dash (for a change). The problem persisted for a further two days so I took it to an independent garage who changed the battery - £50.

The car drove well for a further two days, this morning - it wouldn't start from cold without me running through the same routine as before.

Please, please, please can someone throw a suggestion into the mix as to what it may be this time. I'm at my wits end :banghead

Thanks.

I've had all of those things. If you have replaced 2 coils then get the other 2 done too.

@ jmuirhea...

Are your terminal connections good? I had battery problems and was told I needed a new one. Got one and put it in and 6 weeks later had battery problems again. On test the battery was flat but fine so a re-charge and a new negative battery terminal connector seems to have put things right.

ft101
Passed Theory

Postby ft101 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 pm

OK i'll join the club but i'm wondering if a new thread might be better - i'm experiencing an odd "wandering" misfire behaviour.

My megane 1.6 vvt on a 04 plate, 40k miles, started misfiring with the dreaded toxic fumes light flashing. Got it home, codes were p0304 (cylinder 4 misfire) and p0300 (general misfire). Assuming coil pack failure on cylinder 4 or 1, I switched coil packs 4 and 3. Cleared codes, restarted, and p0304 & p0300 persisted - regardless of coilpack switching. I was starting to think HGF or an injector fault, as the fault simply wouldn't move away from pot 4.

I whipped all the plugs out and cylinder 2,3,4 plugs were a bit oily, pot 2 spark particularly so. There is a oil leak (haze) on the top of the engine, but on cylinder 2 it looks like the oil was coming from the cylinder side of the plug as the plug bore is clean, and not from the top of the engine.

So, new set of plugs in today, along with new coil packs on cylinders 1 & 4. No change - p0304 & p0300 - recurring after a clear and restart, between approx 10 and 30 seconds after restarting engine. Light is intermittent.

Then started swapping new and the cylinder 2 & 3 coil packs around, and initially there was no change from p0304 but then the fault switched to p0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) whilst the new coil packs were installed on cylinders 2 & 3 (and one of the old coil packs on cylinder 4, which is now free of codes).

A few restarts later, and some poking about with shuffling the coil pack LT wiring about, and the code is now, as i've left the car, settled on p0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) and p0300 (general misfire).

However now, with the new coilpacks on cylinders 2 & 3, and the old coilpacks from cylinders 2&3 on cylinder 1&4 (and new plugs in 1,2,3,4) the engine runs without throwing codes for quite some time (though seems lumpier than normal) in fact until load is put on it, such as pulling up and down the driveway on the clutch.

So, i'll put 2 new coilpacks into the car tomorrow.

Does this sound like a normal megane coilpack problem? Its much more random than any other car coilpack problem i've experienced. Oh, I also took the cam sensor out and cleaned it, but its fairly recent (docs back that up - 15k miles max).

Thanks - i'm at my wits end with this car.

Cheers
Mike

strandman
Currently Drives:: 2004 1.5dci salon megane

Postby strandman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:13 pm

I have the same toxic fume error light on ('04, 1.5 dci,megane) I brought it to a guy who read the error code and it says its the EGR valve but there was also another error about a heater plug, I paid him for his time etc went home and removed the EGR, the valve was sticking so i cleaned it and it is free now, How do i reset the error light or should it go off it's self?

AlunWJS
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 'Sport Tourer' (estate) 1.6vvt, March 2004
MGB GT 1798cc 1970

Postby AlunWJS » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 am

Mike, you and I share exactly the same problem - general missfire, plus missfire on specifc cylinder. Usually pot 3 but can wander if I start pulling coils about.

I've learnt to 'manage' my issue by never allowing the car to idle below 1000rpm for too long (gentle revving while waiting at lights etc.). If I do this then the issue never appears and the car drives perfectly. It's only when fully warmed up and idling that the light starts to flash and then engine start to judder. It's been into the garage more times than I can count, including three seperate Renault dealers (never again) and three independents. They all insist it's a coil issue (as does a friendly AA man I chatted with), but have never been able to rectify.

If you ever do manage to solve it I'd be interested to know how. I've found using a higher grade of fuel helps, and the problem goes away entirely with a dose of redex (which I do once a year to ensure it passes the MoT emissions test....). Also, it virtually never happens if the outside temperature is above 23degC. All very strange.....

Alun.
2004 Megane 'Sport Tourer' 1.6vvt (the one with all the problems! but to be fair has never let me down and is currently driving beautifully.......)

bangbang

Postby bangbang » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi

Thought i'd save making a new post...

Here is my issue.

Toixic Fume LIght and Service Light On.

I have done the following

- Changed cam sensor as per code

----- this led to the light going off for a few miles

- Changed coils

----- this led to the light going off for a few miles

- Had coils changed again as they think they might havebeen faulty

- LIGHTS OFF

But THEN, the two lights came back on after 24 hours or so.

Any ideas on what the issue is as the garage have no clue, ecu has been to Renault, its been given all clear, faults have been reset, but light is still on with no explanation.

Car seems to be running fine but these lights.

Thanks for any help

strandman
Currently Drives:: 2004 1.5dci salon megane

Postby strandman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:54 pm

replaced the egr valve and light gone off, Also a quick question for all, Does cheaper diesel at the pumps than say texaco or shell etc be of poorer quality? I use a Diesel here which is 2-3 cents liter cheaper than others but i think it is affecting the cars performance as it becomes poor in accellerating etc so I use an injector cleaned in the diesel and change to different supplier for awhile and the car improves,

Return to “Problems / Questions”