Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IanH

Re: Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Postby IanH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi all

Im new here, but my Megane has just had its Camshaft Timing Actuator replaced after suffering the bad starts, lumpiness and stalling at every junction symptoms. The Toxic Fumes system light has reappeared though the car is running perfectly. The diagnostic machine found no error code. The light went off for a day or so and then reappeared. I am at a complete loss with what could be wrong. I would have though ignition coils and what not would have more obvious symptoms?.

The car is a 2003 53 plate
1.6vvt
Manual
37000 miles on the clock

Ian
2003 Megane II 1.6vvt Dynamique Hatch

markrylance
Currently Drives:: renault megane

Postby markrylance » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:05 pm

hi all, the warning light has just come on in my car!!! eeerrrghhhh, always happens near xmas! can anyone give me a rough idea of what it will cost to get the coils replaced? thankyou, mark.

Winterwolf

Postby Winterwolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 am

Hi all,
Finally had the Toxic fume light problem. The wife took it to a local garage who had a "used" coil they put in just to prove it was the problem. It ran perfect after that so she took it to the garage to get the "new" part fitted.... Guess what it ran like a bag of spanners again

....Ive visually checked each of the coils and they all look equally dirty, and considering one of them has less then 10 miles on it, it should be clean still! So think he put the original back in.

I know that he said it was cylinder 3 which caused the problem, Im going back today to query what he's done, but I think he's going to try and tell me another ones went, and actually fix the original.

So my query is, what the firing order from left to right of a Petrol Megane 1.6 2003 .. so I know if he starts playing with cylinder 3 again he had defo ripped me off.

Cheers
Fin.

bobtheowl
Currently Drives:: 53 Renault Megane 1.6 16v VVT

Re:

Postby bobtheowl » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:02 pm

Ray wrote:call AA. they'll replace your coils to tow u to a dealer depending on what coils u got

Hi everyone.

In the last half hour my 53 plate (33,000 miles) has developed the same problem. Will the RAC replace the coils for me?

Cheers for any help.

EDIT* Called RAC. Changed coil, charged me £40 for part, problem solved.
I could have got the part for £25 and probably done it myself though.

jones

Postby jones » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Hey i just bought a renault megane 2003 a week ago, and today the toxic fumes warning light came up. The car feels like it is jumping up and down while stationary and im not sure whether to get it checked out, or will the problem go by itself.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:15 pm

jones

It sounds like coil failure causing the engine to mis-fire and put on the warning light. Leave it too long and unburnt fuel will damage your catalytic converter.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

bobtheowl
Currently Drives:: 53 Renault Megane 1.6 16v VVT

Postby bobtheowl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 pm

I had a coil changed a couple of weeks ago, but now i have the same problem again.
I have bought 4 new coils and am going to change them all myself, but have been told that if done incorrectly it can damage the computer.

It there any truth in this???

Cheers for any help.

rshole

Postby rshole » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:05 pm

I have the Toxic Fume light and Service Light on my partners Megane CC and after running a fault code reader on it it turns out to be the Lamda sensor after the Cat. Jacked the car up and sure enough the wiring on the plug is bare and has shorted out. Now this is just on the plug so its going to make repairing difficult so worse case scenario its just a new lamda sensor.

Nick

lderby
Currently Drives:: Megane 2004 1.6 16v

Postby lderby » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:37 pm

hi, i'm new to thi. I have had my renault megane 1.6 04 plate 5 door for just over a year. Bought it from Renault dealer luckily got a 2 year warranty with it. When i first got it within a week it was back at the garage (obviously no checks had been made before they gave me the car) I was pressing the start button and it was trying to start but then kept going dead. (cant remember what they said it was) but they sorted it out.

Now December 2008 I had the flashing toxic fume light and loss of power to the car luckily I was close to home called the dealer they advised me not to drive it and took it in 2 days later to get seen to (surprise surprise no courtesy car)had to get to work and back with no car (20miles from my home to work..2hours on bus) anyway they said it was coils and didnt give me a report.

Now March 2009 light comes on again (not flashing this time) no loss of power or anything but was still a bit weiry cos of the last time so called the garage they advised me not to drive it, i booked it in took me over a week before they could book it in. (again.. no courtesy car available) it was some oxygen filter they've replaced.

Now April 09 not even 3 weeks since it's been in the garage and the light is on again. I am now 5 month pregnant and have hospital appointments etc work (credit crunch and all that) having to take time off work. I argued on the fone about getting it in the garage sooner cos it was gona take over a week and i need a car... i am advised now i can use the car and it'll be fine. How does that work?

I just dont know where i stand legally as i still have 2 year left on my finance. I do not want this car anymore. I love it to bits but isn't worth the hastle.... any help would be good

Nedi
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane II 1.4

Postby Nedi » Fri May 01, 2009 3:24 pm

hey all i wish i was here to help but i to have the same problem, i got an 03, 1.4 Extreme with 92k miles last Friday and all was well until yesterday the "service light" lit up oddly enough so did the passenger air bag :S, tho today the toxic fumes light came on but only for a wee bit, after me reading through this would i be rite so say its the "coils" that need replaced? my mates dad is in the AA think he would change them for free? in a nut shell is the car drivable for lets say the next month? cos i cant afford to get it fixed now :( cheers all!

megane10
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 52reg, 1.6VVT 16v

Postby megane10 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:45 am

I've also had the same problem with my 52 reg 1.6VVT I drove my car for around an hour went to the petrol station, started my car again and the service and toxic fumes warning light came on both permanently, the car drove fine. Next day I started the car and there was a slight knocking in the engine. A week on without driving the car I drove to my mechanic who reset the lights and connected a diagnostic machine to the car and told me there maybe a problem with the catalyic something or another! I was told to drive it and see how it goes and see if the lights re appear. Driving the car is fine no noises, no stalling, no loss in revs. Any ideas on how much the catalyic problem would cost to resolve if that seems to be the case?

halikuszion
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane Dynamic 1.4 16v

Postby halikuszion » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Im another one with this issue, Just had all four coils replaced to the tune of £280...

Majikthise
Currently Drives:: 2003 (53) Megane 1.6 16v Expression 5 door.

Postby Majikthise » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Well, my Megane's joined the party. It's a 2003 1.6 VVTi, and the lights came on yesterday. The car drove perfectly though, with no roughness or stalling. Is it an early warning sign, or could it be something else?
"Madam, I may be drunk but in the morning you shall still be ugly" - Winston Churchill.

Majikthise
Currently Drives:: 2003 (53) Megane 1.6 16v Expression 5 door.

Postby Majikthise » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:53 pm

My garage has just told me that it's the camshaft position sensor. Is that the same as the TDC sensor?
"Madam, I may be drunk but in the morning you shall still be ugly" - Winston Churchill.

dcikev
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.6vvt coupe, 1.9dci scenic

Postby dcikev » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 pm

the camshaft sensor is on the top right hand side (near side) if you remove the last coil you can access the 10mm bolt from here then pull the sensor out and unplug,sensor is £39 at renault. the tdc sensor sits on top of the gearbox on the same side of car

Return to “Problems / Questions”