Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ottaman 145
Advanced Driver

Postby ottaman 145 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:59 pm

yeah yet another coil fault !!
my fumes light came on ,the smell of egg and the spluttering on my 04 plate 1.4 ,i called a local renault dealer who could'nt do anything for a week!!. so i rang the AA who within 30mins put a new coil in and advised me to get the cable to the clutchpedal looked at. as my car would only
start if you press the brake pedal its now all ok .
3 CHEERS FOR THE AA the renault emergency service !!!!
Love the Megane , so I bought a faster one !!

PaulCC

Postby PaulCC » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:51 pm

This Flashing toxic fume light thing is catching!!!

My 2.0T is doing exactly the same thing as Gillykids & AndyL's 2.0T's

Both yesterday and today I drove 50 or so miles down the M11 no problems, I get held up in stationary traffic on the north circular and within 30 secs the Toxic Fume Light starts flashing at me.
As I start to crawl along it goes off. Only to come back on as soon as I stop again.

I called in to Renault London City to get them to have a quick look, but they could not find any trace of the fault on the computer?? :?

I might start taking bets as to what my local dealer will say it is.
It's booked in on Tuesday.

TBC
2005 Megane CC 2.0T Privilge

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:25 pm

Paul, this is the exact same problem as me, the car seems fine until until idle.

I am afraid to say after 4 new injectors later I still have the light flashing :(

I will be very interested to see what your Dealer makes of it.....

EDIT: Actually reading through all the posts here its seems the 2.0T variant is recieving a different problem to other engines. Whereas others appear to be fixed by coils, ours are still unsolved......

This may or may not be confirmed by my last visit by the AA man who mentioned the coils on the 2.0T were different to that of the 2.0....
Current: Volvo S40 S Sport 2.0D :)
Previous: Renault Megane II Coupe Carbriolet 2.0 T Privledge

gtaustin

Toxic light issue fixed on 225

Postby gtaustin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:49 am

my toxic emmissions light is now fixed, after an injector and a sender unit replaced. It had been falsely diagnosed as a coil issue at Camdens.

Have been running the car for 3 weeks now without the light coming on. However, on replacing the sender unit, the seal was faulty and its now in to have that fixed. Maybe it will be home soon. :?

Gillykid
Just Passed

Re: Toxic light issue fixed on 225

Postby Gillykid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:22 pm

gtaustin wrote:my toxic emmissions light is now fixed, after an injector and a sender unit replaced. It had been falsely diagnosed as a coil issue at Camdens.

Have been running the car for 3 weeks now without the light coming on. However, on replacing the sender unit, the seal was faulty and its now in to have that fixed. Maybe it will be home soon. :?

glad to hear it is fixed, what model is your car?

lnewland
Learner Driver

Postby lnewland » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:40 pm

my renault 1.6 yesterday began to display the toxic fume light and engine was extremly lumpy it also flashed up warning and a message to say there was a fault with the esp.

must admit though im kinda fed up with the car and therefore didnt drive it lightly for the 2 mile drive to the dealer. once i get it back its up forsale. and i return to VAG

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:03 pm

PaulCC wrote:This Flashing toxic fume light thing is catching!!!

My 2.0T is doing exactly the same thing as Gillykids & AndyL's 2.0T's

Both yesterday and today I drove 50 or so miles down the M11 no problems, I get held up in stationary traffic on the north circular and within 30 secs the Toxic Fume Light starts flashing at me.
As I start to crawl along it goes off. Only to come back on as soon as I stop again.

I called in to Renault London City to get them to have a quick look, but they could not find any trace of the fault on the computer?? :?

I might start taking bets as to what my local dealer will say it is.
It's booked in on Tuesday.

TBC

Any news on your car paul?

PaulCC

Postby PaulCC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi Guys

Got my car back this morning.

They have fitted 4 new injectors!!!

Speaking to the RTE the problem with the 2.0 Turbo is different to the rest of the range?

Hopefully this will be the end of it, but I won't be holding my breath.

Only time will tell. :roll:

I will keep you in informed of it's progress

On a separate note I was surprised how cheap my 18K service was £180.00 inc vat.
2005 Megane CC 2.0T Privilge

lnewland
Learner Driver

Postby lnewland » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm

ive just recieved a phone call from renault to say that two of my coil packs have blown. there was also a further fault which wasnt allowing the car to start with the clutch depressed and they also said that the battery was shot (seemed ok when i dropped it off)
so of to collect the car in a bit but im beginning to wonder how much longer it will be untill there is something else wrong.

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:42 pm

PaulCC wrote:They have fitted 4 new injectors!!!

Speaking to the RTE the problem with the 2.0 Turbo is different to the rest of the range?

Hopefully this will be the end of it, but I won't be holding my breath.

Only time will tell. :roll:

I will keep you in informed of it's progress

Hmmm, be interested to see how you get on with this as replacing the injectors didn't solve the problem for me :(

Guess its back to the drawing board....

EDIT: Car is going back in on Monday :( - hopefully this will be the last time, but i doubt it

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:24 pm

My list of faults since purchase has just increased by one coil failure.

One quick call to the AA playing my Renault assist trump card resulted in the following repair times..

Time between call and AA arrival < 15minutes,
Read engine fault code < 5 minutes,
Replacing Coil on cylinder number 3 < 5 minutes,
Clear fault code and retest < 5 minutes,
Fill in paper work roughly 10 minutes!!

Amazing the paperwork took longer than the replacing of the coil :lol:

So far since new 18months ago I have now had..

1 New drivers side keyless door handle,
1 New dephaser assembly,
1 New TDC sensor,
One steering modification,
1 New Coil - presumbly 3 more to look forward to :?

By the time my warranty is up I should have all new electronics and sensors on the car :shock:

AndyL

Update

Postby AndyL » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:21 pm

After my Renault dealer having the car (2.0T) and driving it around for a couple of days, the fault ocurred with the diagnostics attached. And, yes, it was an injetor problem, too much fuel was being injected, picked up by the lambda sensor and triggering the light we all know and love.

So I have a working megane back, right? not quite. the replacement part was ordered and fitted, but it was also faulty. Another new injector is on order, hopefully this one will work and solve the problem. Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.

Oh, and 1.5 diesel modus's are simply pants. it rattles, has all the go of a sedated sloth and I thought the driving position was outlawed in western europe as too tortuous. But at least it doesn't drink fuel like its going out of fashion or flash bloody lights at me...

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:34 pm

well renault have called to say that the megane is ready, they have reaplaced the coils this time but the car hasn't showed any fault since being in - something tells me it will be going back in soon........ :(

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:47 am

sob - its back again! I think it lasted a week before flashing the light once again.

I give in - has any 2.0T owner managed to solve this one?

:(

ali

Toxic Fumes Warning light

Postby ali » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:03 pm

A word of thanks! I was driving home tonight when the Toxic Fumes light started flashing and the car was juddering and short of power. I got home and thought I'd have to waste half my day tomorrow getting to the dealers to have a look at it. Thankfully, Google brought me to this site and I could identify the problem - called the AA and was all fixed in no time....and he was a very nice man! Now I know where to look if it goes pear-shaped again! :lol:
UPDATE: Guess what - another one went on the way to work the next day - another AA callout. Booked in to the dealers on Monday. Apparently they quite often 'go in pairs!'

Return to “Problems / Questions”