Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

GoldenWonder
Passed Theory

Postby GoldenWonder » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Is there a cutoff date when these coils started to be OK? I assume Renault became aware of the issue so did they do anything about it?

Mine is a 55 plate and seems to have had all the typical faults, which considering the car had been manufactured for around 3 years then is pretty poor showing for renaults quality standards.

sydsnot

Postby sydsnot » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:37 am

this happened to us yesterday,,,, this is the second time this year, the very helpful aa man yesterday informed us that this has been happening for about 10yrs now and that they all carry spare coil packs for renaults, talk about inspiring confidence,,, :evil:

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:11 pm

Had same kind of chat with AA recently, the geezer i spoke with was under the impression it could be a design problem with the engine as its only the megane in his experience that does it, just a question to all that have experience of this is your trust chariot used mainly for short start stop style journeys of loooong distance?
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

shazza49

Toxic Warning

Postby shazza49 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:40 pm

My toxic warning light came on this morning for the 2nd time this year. Does anyone know if the AA charge to replace the coils if you are a member?

Stupid question I know but if they do any clues how much cos I've booked it into my local garage for thurs. :roll:

mhs1971

Toxic warning light & stalling

Postby mhs1971 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi all,

Renault Megane petrol 1.6 03 reg do about 10k/year. Recently it's been stalling at low revs until warmed up - worse when weather is cold but sometimes still does it when warmer. Have to rev up to keep it going, then even once I pull off if revs drop (ie: at a junction) it will often stall. It's been in for a service at a National Autocentres and they didn't identify anything specific.

Now about a week ago the warning light came on that looks I guess like a little engine which i think is the toxic emissions filter mentioned in this thread? It's popped on and off a few times in that time. Took it in for another service at same place and they put it through their diagnostics and couldn't identify anything - but by the time I picked it up the light was off again anyway! They told me shouldn't be any problem to drive it tho now reading this I'm worrying maybe I shouldn't be!

Now it's back on and hasn't gone off. So taking it to a friends garage today to put on their computer see if they can see what's wrong. It seems reasonably likely that the stalling at low revs issue and this warning light might be caused by the same issue?

It's not mis-firing so is this something different from the common coils issue being discussed here? And I'm not in AA unfortunately - am with Green Flag. Is there any point contacting them or am I going to have to bite the bullet and face the Renault Dealer demons?

Any suggestions/help appreciated!
Matt

glenn47

Postby glenn47 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Mines a 53 plate. The Toxic light came on mine in the autumn and it ran lumpy. Contacted the local Renault dealer, took it in and he replaced all 4 coils. He said Renault had increased the warranty on the coils to 4 years for the earlier models. Might be worth taking it to a dealer to see what they say.

racyrich

Postby racyrich » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:55 am

I have a 225 Cup I got new in June 06. No problems at all in the first year, then it had its service and the service manager said they'd flashed in an ECU upgrade. Since then I get the fumes warning light most days, when warm and idling (stopped at lights, for instance). I also get the cruise control warning light, which was even more surprising given the car doesn't have cruise control.
I get no other symptons with the fumes warning - none of the rough running reported here, no discernable loss of performance. Given the obvious misreporting with the cruise control I have trouble taking it seriously so have done nothing about it. I'm a bit more worried now having read this thread, but probably not worried enough to actually do anything before its next service.

steve m

faulty camshaft pulley

Postby steve m » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi, I only aquired my 2003 1.6 megane last week after part ex with my 307. Within 1 day the toxic fuel filter light came on and the car kept on stalling when in idle, had it diagnosed at the garage that sold it me and was told it was afaulty flywheel sensor.

The sensor was replaced last Tuesday and hey presto the fault light goes out and no more stalling.

Then 3 days later the car starts to stall again whilst in idle mode, booked i t in with renault for a diagnostic today and told them that the car was under warrenty with the garage I bought it from so they didn't try to get further business off me and was told after the diagnostic was complets that there was a fault with the flywheel sensor and a fault with the camshaft dephaser pulley (if that's the real name for it?) and the cost to have them replaced and fix would be £700.

Needless to say I went straight back to my dealer and got my old car back after stating the sale of goods act 1979 to them. Sorry to say but having a megane for one week as put me off for life and I genuinely had been looking forward to owning one. I also forgot to mention the juddering when in first. My sympathies to you all, things must be bad when this is coming from a 307 owner!

Basically after trawling through pages of problems with, coils, sensors, pulleys and juddering I am left feeling that there is a serious fault with megane engines that are not getting dealt with by Renault.
2003 megane 1.6 vvt (03 reg)

Kev

Postby Kev » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 am

Hey,

Just got my Megane last Thursday. On Friday, the "Toxic fume filter" warning light came on and ever since it's been a bitch to start the car first thing each day. It keeps conking out and I really have to rev to get it going. It's fine once it gets going though, I'm taking it to me dealer on Thursday or should I take it to a garage ASAP?

It's a petrol Dynamique V1.6
Second hand. 2004 reg
Got it from JF Car Sales Ballymoney
44,000 miles
Was serviced the day I got it

Any suggestions?

jonesukuk

Postby jonesukuk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:30 pm

I was driving home and the toxic warning light suddenly came on and kept flashing. I also noticed that when i stopped and pulled the car out of gear that the car was shaking. Does anyone know if it is safe to drive the car while the light is still on? Thanks.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

If a coil has failed, neat petrol will destroy the catalytic converter leaving you with a costly repair.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

scoobies

Postby scoobies » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:25 am

05 plate 1.6 megane had the toxic fumes issue and the AA came and changed a single coil for free (well they charge it to Renault).

Is it OK to change the one coil - or shoul I contact my Renault dealership to get all 4 replaced.

scoobies

Postby scoobies » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:31 am

05 plate 1.6 megane had the toxic fumes issue and the AA came and changed a single coil for free (well they charge it to Renault Warranty).

Is it OK to change the one coil - or should I contact my Renault dealership to get all 4 replaced.

scoobies

Postby scoobies » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:36 am

05 plate 1.6 megane had the toxic fumes issue and the AA came and changed a single coil for free (well they charge it to Renault Warranty).

Is it OK to change the one coil - or should I contact my Renault dealership to get all 4 replaced.

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 am

wifes third coil just gone westward, third winter in row so same old procedure call ren assitance AA turn up told him it was a coil and then he did something i had not seen before,
usually they just plug the laptop into the car but this guy removed a metal casting off the front of the engine block between engine and radiator, held on with two bolts, this revealed the petrol injectors, with the car running he then disconnected one if the injectors electrical connections first one the car almost died (now firing on two pots), reconnect back to how it was and then disconnected the next, no change, which pointed at coil for third cylinder, change coil restart - fault gone,
seemed to me to be a very easy way for the home mechanic to diagnose a coil problem without causing possible damage to a serviceable coil have read somewhere that removing coils when running can cause them problems.
Oh and before I go the coil he put in has a brown top instead of grey when asked he told me they (the brown) are the new modification, the grey ones had had two or three changes to them over the years and before the grey there were black caps dont know if any of this makes sense but it may help someone
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Return to “Problems / Questions”