Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

robcc

Postby robcc » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi all,

I checked the site for the coil issue as my 54 plate CC had the issue this week, light on running like crap. My dealer sorted it sameday 20mins, so I carn't complain. They have only replaced one, but I've had this issue on my wifes old Clio, hope her Clio III does not have the issue also.

Could somebody advise what the coil is and what it does??

Also driving it for 1/2 an hour with it misfiring, could this cause issues?

Even with this issue the CC is still a great car..more so when the sun is out...

Rob
Megane CC xenons, climate control, H,seat etc

AndyL

Postby AndyL » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:18 pm

https://autorepair.about.com/cs/generali ... 72200a.htm

explains coils.

I've been offered a replacement car due to my ongoing problems. I only hope the new one works properly...

lnewland
Learner Driver

Postby lnewland » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 am

and im back in the toxic fume light club. wife was driving the car yesterday when that all to known orange light displayed its ugly illumination. its only four months since i last got it repaired surely renault must relise there is a problem and change the products on recal. i think the return to vag is becoming more likely now. At this momment i would even be happier driving a ford (no offence anyone who has one)

amanda
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane 1.6 VVT Dymanique in black

Postby amanda » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 pm

i had that problem at 16k. it was coil 2 that went, although my dealer in glasgow was helpful, they are technically rubbish

rhambri1

Postby rhambri1 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:36 am

I have just experienced the same problem, toxic warning light flashing and the engine mis-firing with lack of power. i immedictaely pulled over and dumped the car in a car park. I'm glad I did now, as later i found out that I could have damaged the catalytic converter by not burning fuel in one of the non firing cylinders.

I called the AA out and within minutes they had diagnosed that cylinder three engine coil wasn't working. Surprise, surprise due to the amount of call outs the AA get they have these ignition coils to hand. £85.50 spent, I went on my way with the ignition coil replaced and a SPARE ignition coil in my cubby box in the drivers floor.

The ironic thing is my car has only done 26000 miles and was 14 days outside the three year warranty!! doesn't it always happen like that!!

angiebrothers

Postby angiebrothers » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:40 pm

Can anyone help me please??? I currently own an 03 1.4 Dynamique Megane. I purchased it from the Renault dealership in Milton Keynes 12 months ago. It has a full renault service history up until the last one, which was carried out last Monday (On the same day the coil was changed initially). It has done 45000 miles

In Feb 06 I had a coil replaced under warranty (I stress the "a coil" as Renault would not change all 4 as they are supposed to, presumably because they were paying for it!), which was brought to my attention when the toxic fume filter light came on whilst driving to work.

Last Monday, I had the same problem again. I was near a Kwik Fit (Mistake, I know, but my Renault dealer is absolutely terrible). I took it into them, where they ran a diagnostic which stated that coil no 2 was misfiring. They also stated that this was the newest one on the engine and advised me to contact Renault first as they should replace it under the part warranty (My 3 year warranty ran out on 31/07/06).

When I contacted Renault they told me that they would charge me £75 for a diagnostic test and they would not replace the part for free as apparently the warranty on the part automatically expired when my manufacturers warranty expired.

The saga goes on....... I took it back to Kwik Fit and they said they could replace the coil on the day for £55 and that it was an authentic Renault part. I was happy to pay this as I do approximatley 500-750 miles a week and cannot afford to be off the road for a prolonged period of time.

I picked it up that day and it was fine until the Thursday (3 days later), when the light came on again and the car was struggling to pull away. I took it back and Kwik Fit advised me to get a full diagnostic run on it as it appeared to be a bigger problem than just the coil, which I did and it threw up that coil 2 was misfiring, but there were no other major problems. So I took it back to Kwik Fit - they replaced it again, but this time it made absolutley no difference, so they then also replaced coil no 3 (At no extra charge) and this has improved it slightly, but it still isn't right. They are now saying it could be the wire running to the ECU (whatever that is) or at worst - THE BRAIN! Whatever it is, they say they cannot fix it, but I'm at an abslolute loss now as to what to try next - Has anyone else experienced this type of re-occuring problem.

I have appointments booked for the next three days which means I should cover around 400 miles - Is it advisable to cancel?

Sorry, to add, I had a check injection warning light come on yesterday, although when I stopped and re-started the car, it did go off for a time and is not displyed currently.

I did also post this under the coils thread, but it seems related to this also.

Please help, I had an MGZR before this and thought that was bad!

Domagoj

Postby Domagoj » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:46 pm

I'm very sorry I sold my old Megane with 1.4 8v engine (75bhp) which is still in good shape and ended up with 1.6 16 v Megane II and ignition coils problems too :( Renault did replace three of them free of charge (two ignition coils failed), so the bill was acceptable. If it was the only failure - I also had an alternator problem, a solenoid problem, an air-pressure sensor problem, ... It now works well, everything is replaced with original Renault parts, but there's no confidence left... I have to sell it, and think more than twice before buying next Renault. Btw, at the same time I advertised my add Renault announced a huge discount on all of their cars. My 1.6 16v Megane (Dynamique Confort) now costs 14500 instead of 18000 Eur! That surely didn't help me getting price as high as I hoped for! So I'm selling it for 10.000 Eur (instead of 12.000)... And Toyota Corolla is going to be in my garage very soon. Renault gave a 8.900 Eur estimate on my car (before the discount was announced), and it was a shame... Au revoir Renault!

Domagoj

Maybe Renault should foucus on quality not on F1 podium???

Postby Domagoj » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 pm

So, I finally sold my Megane yesterday!!! Toyota Corolla 1.4 D-4D is in my garage and my car found a responsible owner (and I'm very happy about it!). If I put bad things aside, I had wonderful times with my Megane (it was a fast car, very competent for speeding), but my new car is just way ahead in quality terms. So, Renault should take note about this! They are not goin' to sell cars if they continue with this sort of production (sensor faults, ignition coils failed, etc..). This is because there are other car manufacturers which sell better cars for same amount of money!

Darren

fume light

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:50 pm

is the fume light problem a common thing?? i've my megan for just over 2 years now. the car is fine but the engine is a waste of time...

the car has been back to the dealer more times than i can remember...
DAZ

shaun1975

coils

Postby shaun1975 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Just replaced all 4 of mine, £29 each, this is just another problem to add to the many i have had with mine, damm i love the car but the amount of problems etc i could keep writing for ages, wish i had kept my old style laguna now at times.

fergie

Postby fergie » Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm

i had 1 of my coils die in december, then another in march. my car is a 53 plate and as it was 3 years old when i bought it the garage gave me a warranty for 12 months. i am so glad they did. on my way to work this morning another coil failed. i have just had a call from reg vardy renault in livingston to say that renault have replaced all 4 coils free of charge. (2 of the coils in my car are less than 5 months old) so i was a bit surprised they changed all 4. a good result and good service from the garage. lets hope these coils are better than the last ones.

trev
Passed Theory

Postby trev » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Bought my first ever Renault this week.
Megane 2 53 plate 1.6vvt.
Love it to bits, till today that was, engine symbol on the dash is on with "check injection" lit up.
Garage i bought it from has said drop it off tomorrow and they will try and get it looked at on Monday, sounds like stick coil problem.
Not good in the first week of ownership, after reading plenty on this forum also worked out why the car wouldn't start with the clutch pressed and fixed that myself.. hope all my problems have come at once and it proves to be reliable from here on. :wink:

Darren

engine fume light

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:56 am

:evil: the problem will all most certainly come back. hope they changed all 4 coils?
DAZ

dolbz

Postby dolbz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:42 pm

I recently bought an 03 plate 1.6 megane dymanique and have the Toxic Fume warning light also. The thing is it still sounds and feels like it's running fine with nothing at all indicating a problem apart from the light.

The light is on solid instead of flashing. Is this indicating something else is the problem? It's done around 25,000 miles. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Nathan

Ashsoft
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6VVT Dynamique

How to test whch coil is faulty

Postby Ashsoft » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Ignition coils can be test with a simple multi-meter. A good normal coil should have a primary coil resistance of 0.5 Ohms between the two small plug connections. A secondary coil resistance of between 9000 to 12000 Ohms between the HT spark plug connection and the bottom pin of the small 2 pin connector. Faulty coils usually fail on the HT side with a distinct increase in resistance (greater than 12000 Ohms).

Return to “Problems / Questions”