54 Megane Steering Lock isnt... Locking any ideas why?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jamhops
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 100 1.5DCi

54 Megane Steering Lock isnt... Locking any ideas why?

Postby jamhops » Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 pm

So my nice new car... but I found another issue. The steering lock isnt working when the car is locked and I try and turn the steering wheel it almost catches but it doesnt. So when I turn the steering in either direction it quite easily clicks past the locking points but there is no warning from the car though :?

so does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks
Renault Megane II 54 Plater 1.5dCi 100

jamhops
Learner Driver

Re: 54 Megane Steering Lock isnt... Locking any ideas why?

Postby jamhops » Sun May 22, 2011 5:33 pm

anyone?

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi jamhops,

Mine used to only lock in one direction, in other words, I could turn the wheel one way and it would do what yours is doing, but as soon as I turn it the other way, it would lock.

The issue was solved with a new electronic steering lock - no idea on cost sorry, as my megane was under warranty at the time.
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

jamhops
Learner Driver

Postby jamhops » Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 am

pw981 wrote:Hi jamhops,

Mine used to only lock in one direction, in other words, I could turn the wheel one way and it would do what yours is doing, but as soon as I turn it the other way, it would lock.

The issue was solved with a new electronic steering lock - no idea on cost sorry, as my megane was under warranty at the time.

Played a bit more today, if i turn the wheel 3/4's of the way to the left and then it will lock and not let it turn right. But if the wheel is not turned 3/4's of the way then it can still be turned left and right this far.

So does this need to be replaced or will the steering lock be sufficient? Is there any affect to insurance validity? Is it lightly to get worse?
Looking at it is it right it is coded to my car so would have to get a 2nd hand steering lock decoded? If it is that? and does anyone know anywhere cheaper then £60?

Thanks for the help

Ben

Return to “Problems / Questions”