Tyre and MOT Fail Question

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jamhops
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 100 1.5DCi

Tyre and MOT Fail Question

Postby jamhops » Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 pm

This is going to sound like a retarded question but, Can a tyre be illegal before it is touching the notch as, I still have a couple mm before the notch on the tyre but it has very little tread on the centre of the tyre (it is on the rear so not major issue) Just trying to understand is it still illegal even if it is over the notch?

The other thing if I bought my car from a garage and its not road legal if I get VOSA/MOT to say it fails do the garage have to fix the tyre/issue or refund the car?

oH cheapest place for a HPI check/ Is it not possible to check it stolen or CAT for free?

Thankyou

Ben
Renault Megane II 54 Plater 1.5dCi 100

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Tyre and MOT Fail Question

Postby davelowe » Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

The minimum is 1.6mm of tread across the centre 3 quarters. Any bald patches = 3 points on your license. It will fail an MOT.

Most people change them at 3mm because of the stopping distance in wet weather.

Your tyres shouldn't wear unevenly. Ensure they are correctly inflated.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

jamhops
Learner Driver

Postby jamhops » Fri May 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks I knew the tyre will fail the mot

e other thing if I bought my car from a garage and its not road legal if I get VOSA/MOT to say it fails do the garage have to fix the tyre/issue or refund the car?
By that I mean the car was sold with a 6 month MOT but I worry that it may have some problems so wondered if I put it in for an MOT and it fails does the garage have a requirement to sort it,

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:16 pm

The MOT only applies to the day of the MOT, that's to say an MOT examiner cannot foresee what could happen to the car in the next 12 months to the next MOT. It's a snapshot, a moment in time.
Another way of putting it is that the MOT is not a guarantee for the following 12 months.
If the car had 6 months ticket when you bought it and you're MOTing it again now I assume you've had 6 months motoring out the tyres. That being the case you won't have any comeback with the garage where you bought it, tyres are a wear and tear item.
:-(
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

jamhops
Learner Driver

Postby jamhops » Fri May 13, 2011 6:49 pm

morganjake1544 wrote:The MOT only applies to the day of the MOT, that's to say an MOT examiner cannot foresee what could happen to the car in the next 12 months to the next MOT. It's a snapshot, a moment in time.
Another way of putting it is that the MOT is not a guarantee for the following 12 months.
If the car had 6 months ticket when you bought it and you're MOTing it again now I assume you've had 6 months motoring out the tyres. That being the case you won't have any comeback with the garage where you bought it, tyres are a wear and tear item.
:-(

I bought it a week ago with 6 months left on the MOT not a fresh one, I have driven about 30 miles max,

jamhops
Learner Driver

Postby jamhops » Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Oh and thanks for the information and help,

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:05 pm

If you've only done 30 miles (presumably your invoice for the car stated the mileage when you bought it so you can prove the fact) then I'd take it back to the garage and ask them to put on a new tyre. It's a bit naughty to sell the car with an illegal tyre and it's not much better to sell a car with a barely legal tyre.

The garage had a obligation and duty to sell you a car which was legal and fit for purpose. My advice would be to go back and be polite but firm and request a replacement tyre.

Good luck.

:cool:

PS I'd check all the other obvious stuff like lights, horn and anything else electrical aswell.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

moggiemegane

Postby moggiemegane » Mon May 16, 2011 1:45 pm

It is illegal for a garage to sell a car with tyres that are illegal I would contact you local trading standards if they fail to replace them

Return to “Problems / Questions”