Flickering dashboard displays/ resetting clocks

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mez
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 1.4 16v

Flickering dashboard displays/ resetting clocks

Postby Mez » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:24 am

morning guys right i need your help with something this morning

my 04 plate megane has decided to start playing up AGAIN

basically when im driving her its as though theres a bad connection someplace as the dashboard display the clock the interior lights and my cd player all flicker (or in the case of the cd player - go off) and as a result the windows are doing their usual trick of only going up so many cms when closing!!! like they would if you run the battery flat and the dashboard milage display etc are all resetting! the battery was rrecently changed so its NOT the case of the car stalling, all the lights and displays in the car are just resetting

Any ideas?

dont want the usual - its french welcome to wiring problems answers just need your advise on what this might be, iv checked the battery terminals they both seemfine ????

answers on a postcard please........................... :(

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Re: Flickering dashboard displays/ resetting clocks

Postby Nige » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 am

Sounds like a dreaded ECU or possible electical fault under the bonnet. Make sure the wheel arch cover is in place at the front left.

TBH if all the lights are flickering and all on a different circuit, this can only be the main control unit...

A diagnostic check may help if its under warranty, but I already know what they will say. When issues like this arise, I would almost certainly consider trading in your motor as I have a feeling things are going to become quite expensive shortly.

Nige x
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

darkmast3r
Learner Driver

Postby darkmast3r » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:15 pm

You could check the alternator cables just in case. Maybe a loose wire or plug to the alternator, just worth a look.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Try metering the battery voltage when the engine is running. Have an assistant operate various circuits (windows, blower, lights, etc) while you check that the voltage does not vary between 13.8 - 14.2V, also vary the engine revs. Inspect the connections to the alternator and that the belt is not degraded or flapping.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

i would check also the connection between the battery and the cables, if there are any dirt between the connector and the plug, its easily seen

cheers

Mez
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 1.4 16v

Postby Mez » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:36 pm

thanks guys ill have to check this tomorrow as its a bit dark now !!!

very odd how its just all of a suddern started happening though, im not noticing if the blowers are affected though, ill have to get hold of a voltage reader and see what the crack is, Cheers for the Heads up xxxxx :banghead

Return to “Problems / Questions”