Running Rich!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

clump88
Currently Drives:: 1.4 renault megane extreme 2003

Running Rich!

Postby clump88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am

Right, im new to this whole posting a problem thing so bare with me! Ive got a megane II 1.4 2004, for weeks now its been using loads of fuel, i could drive as economically as i can and still only get 29mpg. people say they can smell petrol in the cabin but i cant (im assuming ive just got used to it now). the car seems to run fine, maybe a little sluggish but that could most definately be my paranoia! ive used my own diagnostic software and it comes up with no errors codes etc i was thinking it may be a sensor thats a little faulty and giving the ecu an incorrect reading, a sensor that only a proper renault diagnostic would detect! however, with the software i use i can monitor all the sensor values, would someone be able to post all of their own sensor values (on a car thats working properly obviously) so that i can compare, this may show me the faulty sensor! or maybe show me where i could find the correct parameters? i see no leaks under the bonnet and there is non on the road after its been there a while so ive ruled out a leaky pipe etc.

thanks

chris

ukpassking
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane sport tourer 54 1.9dci

Re: Running Rich!

Postby ukpassking » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Have you had a look at your air filter? Asuming the ignition system has no faults and the engine is running well on all cylinders then it looks like you may have a over-fuelling problem, your coolent tempreture sensor maybe faulty this would tell the ecu that the engine is still cold and more fuel would be injected. when did u last have a service? have you got the right grade oil?
Are your tyres all set to the correct psi, is your alignment all stright? Also It depends on your driving If I put my foot down my MPG drops ALOT!!!! I have 1.9sport tourer.
idle of your car should be nice and steady with no indication of faulty plugs.
try having your tires balanced and rotated, Check for uneven tread wear or jerking at high speeds (50-70mph). These are signs that it could be your tires being off balance that is causing the bad fuel economy.
spark plugs(change) maybe worth a try only cost a few quid.
That is the first things i would be checking, if all that fails You might want to check with a mechanic.

clump88

Postby clump88 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 pm

i gave it a complete service about 8 or 9 months ago, air filter and everything. ive seen people mention the temperature sensor before but surely the gauge on the dashboard would not be reading normal if that was faulty? i replaced the wheels a few months ago, about november i think but this problem only started happening after christmas. the fuel consumption had dropped this week to less than 27 so its getting worse. ive spoken to loads of my mechanic friends but they dont even know where to start looking, that all just suggested taking it to renault themselves. the car itself runs fine, no misfires or anything

ukpassking
Passed Theory

Postby ukpassking » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 pm

do you use supermarket fuel? Ive read some reports that it burns faster and doesnt last as long as say BP or Shell ? Worth a try before you take it to the stealers..

clump88

Postby clump88 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:22 pm

yeah i tend to use tesco fuel but i always have done so i dont think its that. thanks for the advice though :) i really am baffled but im having a few parts replaces this week (wishbones, track rods, steering racks etc) my fingers are crossed that by some miracle its related to the bad condition of these parts! long shot i know!

ukpassking
Passed Theory

Postby ukpassking » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm

With the price of fuel now I hope you get it sorted, have you checked your egr valve?

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Postby STEVIE » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 pm

To be honest mate the MPG sounds about right for a 1.4
I had one brand new in 2003 sold it in 2010 and the most i got was 31 ish
i loved the car but not the mpg

stevie
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

clump88

Postby clump88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 am

I have a friend with a 1.4 and he gets nearly 40mpg around town. I'm not expecting it to be as high as that but it should definately get more than I am getting. I've altered the car to make it into an f1 replica but the only thing I've changed other than the cosmetics is the suspension and wheels, even they were changed way before this problem. I ran my diagnostic again today and came up with P0130, an o2 sensor fault, I'll try changing this but I don't know why it hasn't shown up until now (assuming it is this that's causing it).

Return to “Problems / Questions”