Knock from OSF when going over bumps?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Taipan
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 Dci

Knock from OSF when going over bumps?

Postby Taipan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi All

Our MK2 Megane 1.5dci has a very annoying rattle coming from the OSF. If the NSF wheel hits a pothole nothing but if the OSF wheel does there is a distinct knock or rattle.

I jacked it up and put it on stands and had a hunt around but couldn't find anything so left it for the upcoming MOT test. It failed on a ball joint and I thought thank God for that as that'll be the knock. Alas no, ball joint replaced but the knock is there as before.

I had another look but still couldn't find anything although the strut mountings weren't fully tight and one of the three bolts does seem to be threaded. But retightening the others has n't cured it either. Any ideas on where this annoying rattle could be coming from?

Many thanks

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Knock from OSF when going over bumps?

Postby Ray » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:21 pm

top mount?

rjacko
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 dci Dynamique, 3dr 03 reg

Postby rjacko » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Broken spring?
3dr 03 Megane 1.9Dci, Dynamique, panoramic roof, keyless system, full leather, 6 cd changer, 17" Nervasport alloys

stealth
Currently Drives:: dci renault megane with 225 body kit all black !

Postby stealth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:24 pm

is the car lowered ? ... im having this problem atm but the garage are telling me i need to replace the shock absorbers as mine is lowered

leighton
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 megane1.5 dci

Postby leighton » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:46 pm

just happened to me give the springs a good check at top could hardly see mine had cracked

tres103
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane sport 175dci

Postby tres103 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:47 pm

i have the exact same problem on my megane sport dci 175 o/s/f knocking.couldnt find anything.had it over the pits in work jacked it up etc and found nothing.changed a drop link and it quietend but within days came back loud again.

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Mine was doing exactly the same.
One of the coil springs snapped so I had it replaced but it was till doing it. Had the shock absorber replaced and now it has stopped.

Cheers
Gaz

Taipan

Postby Taipan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Ray wrote:top mount?

I'm told its likely to be the o/s top engine mount but haven't managed to fix it yet. Apparently you can just shim it with a washer? Anyone done this? Or changed the top engine mount? Easy or hard job?

Taipan

Postby Taipan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 am

Well I had a pretty wasteful weekend trying to find this damn knock. Jacked the car up and went pushing and poking and tapping underneath it but couldn't find anything loose or with play in. So I Jacked the engine up and removed the OS top mount as the engine does move back and forth on that. So I get the mount off and its intact. No perishing or splits etc. The underside looked like its fluid filled and hasn't leaked but didn't look full either? I'm not sure how one is supposed to look though?

When I let the car back down and drove it the noise had almost gone but returned shortly. So initially I though well as I'd moved the top mount it must be that. But then it occurred to me I'd also hung the suspension freely and may have resettled the strut. Is there a bush or bearing on the strut where it meets the body per chance?

Sadret89
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE 1.5dci 80, INDUCTION KIT, 8K XENON HEADLIGHTS, 225 SPORT FULL BODY-KIT & EXHAUST SYSTEM, SOUND SYSTEM, TDI TUNING BOX, EDC BLACK STUFF FRONT BRAKE PADS

Postby Sadret89 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:26 pm

I am having the same problem.

Mine is lowered just recently so the springs are new, over the last 3 months I have had both wishbones, driveshafts with cv joints changed. And yet getting this stupid rattling noise everytime I go over pot holes and also a funny crackling noise when I pull off.

All thats left shocks? engine mount? or suspension mount?
Check out the progress viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13676

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 pm

It might seem a bit obvious but have you checked the vertical link that connects the anti-roll bar to the suspension leg? Lots of cars use this arrangement and a small amount of play at either end will give rise to an unbelievable rattle. Worn anti-roll bar rubbers can produce a similar noise.
Additionally the top suspension mount (bearings) of these cars wear badly (and should in theory fail an MOT test. One way to check is to jack the car up, disconnect the track rod end and swivel the road wheel from side to side. It should move smoothly. Any noise (such as creaking) or rough movement will indicate bearing failure. Use a torch to look up at the top of the strut and you will be able to see that all is not well. I had to replace both of mine at the same time.
Mike

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:39 pm

I have the same 'knock' / 'clunk' when going over small bumps (and I cringe when going over rough ground!).

However, when the car was stationary with the hand-brake on, I was able to rock the NSF wheel back/forwards by about an inch to two inches, almost like it was somehow loose in the way it was affixed to the car (all wheel nuts done up fine).

Before I take it to a garage, I'd like to have a better idea of what the problem might be - so I can avoid 60UKP+ for fault diagnosis etc!

Anyone else experience this - including the seemingly 'loose' wheel?
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 pm

__spc__ wrote:I have the same 'knock' / 'clunk' when going over small bumps (and I cringe when going over rough ground!).

However, when the car was stationary with the hand-brake on, I was able to rock the NSF wheel back/forwards by about an inch to two inches, almost like it was somehow loose in the way it was affixed to the car (all wheel nuts done up fine).

Before I take it to a garage, I'd like to have a better idea of what the problem might be - so I can avoid 60UKP+ for fault diagnosis etc!

Anyone else experience this - including the seemingly 'loose' wheel?

You did this with the car on the ground (not on axle stands)? If so, have it towed to a garage - it isn't safe to drive.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:15 am

Lower ball joint needs replacing...
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

Grard
Currently Drives:: 2007 Renault Megane 1.9Dci sedan

Postby Grard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 am

Hi,

If you haven't sorted it out yet, had same prob on my car 2007 1.9dci , replaced the two front shock saddles (mountings) a month and a half ago, no probs since.

Return to “Problems / Questions”