Knock from OSF when going over bumps?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Taipan
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 Dci

Re: Knock from OSF when going over bumps?

Postby Taipan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 am

Grard wrote:Hi,

If you haven't sorted it out yet, had same prob on my car 2007 1.9dci , replaced the two front shock saddles (mountings) a month and a half ago, no probs since.

Is that at the top of the suspension strut? That's what i think it is or at least have concluded it must be as I cant find anything else with play in it! Did you replace them yourself? Easy enough to do? Car is currently off teh road awaiting aux belt idler and soem new tyres, just need to find some time....

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Cheers - I replaced the lower wishbone arms and sorted it...
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm

__spc__ wrote:I have the same 'knock' / 'clunk' when going over small bumps (and I cringe when going over rough ground!).

However, when the car was stationary with the hand-brake on, I was able to rock the NSF wheel back/forwards by about an inch to two inches, almost like it was somehow loose in the way it was affixed to the car (all wheel nuts done up fine).

Before I take it to a garage, I'd like to have a better idea of what the problem might be - so I can avoid 60UKP+ for fault diagnosis etc!

Anyone else experience this - including the seemingly 'loose' wheel?

Could that be your steering arms? I got an advisory for both sides at my MOT earlier in the week. Apparently these can be reconditioned with new bearings etc. One side also has play in the wishbone ball joint I think he said.... Will be getting these done when I start usuing the car more often
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:18 pm

ikhan wrote:
__spc__ wrote:I have the same 'knock' / 'clunk' when going over small bumps (and I cringe when going over rough ground!).

However, when the car was stationary with the hand-brake on, I was able to rock the NSF wheel back/forwards by about an inch to two inches, almost like it was somehow loose in the way it was affixed to the car (all wheel nuts done up fine).

Before I take it to a garage, I'd like to have a better idea of what the problem might be - so I can avoid 60UKP+ for fault diagnosis etc!

Anyone else experience this - including the seemingly 'loose' wheel?

Could that be your steering arms? I got an advisory for both sides at my MOT earlier in the week. Apparently these can be reconditioned with new bearings etc. One side also has play in the wishbone ball joint I think he said.... Will be getting these done when I start usuing the car more often

Yep - the last 8 months have seen me replace both wish bone arms and both tie rod ends (and one of these then failed after 6 months).

And no - I'm not hitting curbs or speedhumps...

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:34 pm

6 months is an unusual life expectancy for that component...whats the brand that you've used?

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:21 am

Unsure - I paid for my Renault dealer to do the work, so would have expected Renault parts...

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:34 pm

ask for an warranty. the brand new components have at least 1 year warranty, unless caused by other defect items. On your case i really dont see anything that could wreck that terminal joint so soon. go for it, its your money in stake.

Cheers

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:13 am

The warranty covered it....

Return to “Problems / Questions”